Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all. Does anyone know if you can get replacement plexi for Memphis Shades windshields? The guy who had the bike before me scratched the heck out of the shield when he dropped it. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Mark go to www.memphisshades.com hit customer service an fill out the info for replacement parts . I'm guessing you can buy a new shield. How bad is it scratched? You might be able to get some plastic polish an buff them out. It's worth a try, unless the scratch's are more like deep gouges.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You should be able to. When I ordered the w/s for my 1600, the windshield and bracket were separate items.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes, you can get a replacement plastic...runs around $50-$60. I had a 17" Memphis Fats and got the 19" (plastic only) for more protection. You just disassemble the hardware and fit it to the new Lexan shield.

As others suggest, there are plastic polishes of varying abrasive content to remove scratches. The golden rule of clear plastic is: "NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON THE WINDSHIELD THAT EVER WAS PART OF A TREE" This especially includes paper towels. Use soft terry cloth. Clean the shield with Honda cleaner or cleaners that are made especially for plastic.

I use Sunnyside Plastic Cleaner (16 oz. for $2.30) - great on bugs and leaves a non-static, slick film to help with the future splatter. 20K miles on my shield and very little, fine scratches. I used Blue Magic Plastic & Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover (Autozone) for removing some scratches I generated when removing tar last summer. Works very well, follow the instructions. It is recommended for all clear plastics and things like CDs. Keep a terry cloth rag in your storage on trips and a small bomb of Honda cleaner to prevent future scatches.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the info. There's no way a polish will take out these scratches, too many deep gouges. I'll check w/ MS for the replacement. Hey Tman, did you notice a significant change in head buffeting with the 19 over the 17? I'll have to measure which size I have but there is definitely some "air chatter" when I use my shield.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Absolutely, Pick. I got the 19" and the lowers on and head buffeting is history...at my build, I have to look through the shield at times, depending on what I'm viewing. But, in cold weather and/or windy weather, the 19" is nice. This summer I will slip the 17" on again for a try. Last summer, I went on a lot of long trips so I just left the 19 on all summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts