Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 9 hours in my garage I've transformed by RR

I started with:
Joe Florida's 60 blue LED sportsbike kit. 10 strips of 6 surfacemount LEDs.
A 100cm x 25cm piece of black aluminium automobile mesh
Some high temp, waterproof adhesive
Pro Bolt black fairing and screen kit

Firstly I had to take all the fairings off, and seeing as I also wanted to take my speedo off, that meant fiddling with the front of the bike too.... big PITA, but now the speedo's off and will be getting new LEDs in the near future.

Anyway, all the fairings came off and i laid out everything with new bolts too.

Then i spent a while cutting the mesh and bending it to fit each fairing vent.
I tacked it in place with hot glue, then once that had dried, i smothered it in the adhesive.

I then got out the LEDs and started placing them around the bike.
The had 3M adhesive backing, but that was crap, so i ended up using a little blob of superglue at each end.

2 strips under the airducts at the front.
2 strips on each side of the bike, 1 in front of each main air vent.
2 strips under the tail of the bike.
2 strips just under the rear cowl to illuminate through the new 'vents'.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
then i had to find a place to put the little waterproof switch... and it seems that it managed to fit perfectly and completely blend in attached to the mount for the heated grips controller!

WIN

Then after that it was just a case of wiring everything up to make it look neat and tidy with no visible wires... and then splicing and soldering all the wires into the connectors so i could attach a fuse and then plug into the battery

Then after putting the fairing sliders back in (which was another PITA), i went round and used all the new black fairing bolts

sadly the 2 bolts on the fairing that hide the fuse box and tool box don't come in the Pro-Bolt kit... so i just gave them a few coats of black rattlecan.

it scratched a little when tightening them, but i can always apply more coats if it flakes off too soon.

I also cleaned up the swingarm and affixed a few new decals which i think make it less of a bulky silver eye-sore

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And then after all that, i turned off the garage lights and turned on my new accent lights

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
cool

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your in-depth critique, and overwhelming compliments Shoeless :lol:

;)

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it stops the horses from getting out and the birds from getting in ;)

:lol:

thankies

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Mesh; it keeps the birds out.

Nice work Steve :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:biggrin:

i want as many birds as i can get...

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job on the lights and mesh.

Where did you get your Oxford grip warmers?
That is my next purchase.

i bought them at slight discount at a bike show.

Oxford Products are very easy to come by over here though. everyone stocks them :)

the grips are amazing! i rarely take mine higher than the minimum setting.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
For a durable paint finish on the bolts,after spraying them,try baking in an oven at 350 F for 60 minutes(open windows as the fumes may make the female residents ask "Why are you stinking up the house?") I'm not sure you can bake lacquer, but normal enamal should work fine.

Old cookie sheets work well for this and I've had Kerker exhaust canisters suspended in our electric oven using wire coat hanger hooks from the baking racks. This method will make an almost "Bullet Proof" coating.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Nice job on the mesh. By the way, I just about choked when I saw a very...shocking decal, shall we say? :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts