Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from college in florida (to pa)and went to start my '04 Ninja 250. My dad was starting it for me once a week while I was gone but he had to move for work so it was in the garage for about 2 weeks before I got home to start it. I rode it 3 weeks earlier and it was fine. But now when I start it it sounds like there is metal in it that is getting moved around. It was really bad at first time but not as loud or frequent now. I started it up again today and the noise was still there but i was listening for it. it wasn't as blatant as it was before. I changed my oil the last time I was up so idk what else it could be. any suggestions are welcome. thanks

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Is the noise just when you're using the starter, or is it constant once the bike is running?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Did you change your oil filter as well as the oil? Crappy/used filters can give a lot of top end noise when cold. Which I'm assuming is what you're hearing (valve noise). How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I changed the filter and put the synthetic oil in which the previous owner had used. there are only 3k miles on the bike. like I said I changed oil and filter about 2.5 weeks ago when I was home for break and rode it and it was fine. I come home and start it (my dad left on business or he would have ran it for me) and it sounded really bad. I ran it until it sounded better and let it sit a day. I started it up again the next day and it definatly sounded better but the sound was still there. If I wasn't listening for it i might not have noticed it right away though. I went to start it again today to check and the batty is dead I suppose b/c it won't start .... so i'll get it charged tomorrow. I just want to make sure it is fine b/c I am taking it to to school with me after break to Florida that's why i haven't stored it.

·
RideOrDieWarren
652 Posts
Probably making noises because it hasnt been ridden in so long. Starting it up does nothing for it, it needs to be ridden.

These bikes are old designs. This model 250 started in 1988, and is very basic. Most of the noise is the engine struggling. Carbs get gummed up and fuel starves the engine.

Battery is dead from starting and stopping continuously.

Ride it, it should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts