Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good riding to all.
I recently purchased a classic Kaw and hence joined the forum. Many thanks to members in advance for answering questions they've answered before as well as the questions that seem remarkably stupid.
My purchase was a 1982 KZ 750 LTD (only 4600 miles). I have begun a mild Cafe conversion and am interested in swapping out the Tach-Speedo units. Found a pair of mini's on line but I need to know what the Kaw factory "ratios" are.

Online mini ratios
Tach 1=1:4
Speedo 2240=60mph

Thanks

Tex

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Good riding to all.
I recently purchased a classic Kaw and hence joined the forum. Many thanks to members in advance for answering questions they've answered before as well as the questions that seem remarkably stupid.
My purchase was a 1982 KZ 750 LTD (only 4600 miles). I have begun a mild Cafe conversion and am interested in swapping out the Tach-Speedo units. Found a pair of mini's on line but I need to know what the Kaw factory "ratios" are.

Online mini ratios
Tach 1=1:4
Speedo 2240=60mph

Thanks

Tex
Wow you lost me man.

ratios of what ?

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
The internal ratio of the tach and speedometer, as in 4 turns of the tach cable equals 1 rpm, and 2240 turns of the speedo cable equals 1 mile.

I say 2240 = 1mile because 2240 equals 60 mph makes no sense. If the cable rotates 2240 times over a 24 hour period, is the bike going 60 mph?

Digital speedometers are normally rated in pulses per mile, and usually come with a chart to convert tire circumference into pulses per mile.

As far as I know all cable driven speedomter and tach ratios are standardized, the difference in final drive ratios and tire circumference are taken care of at the sender end.

·
20,826 Posts
The internal ratio of the tach and speedometer, as in 4 turns of the tach cable equals 1 rpm, and 2240 turns of the speedo cable equals 1 mile.

I say 2240 = 1mile because 2240 equals 60 mph makes no sense. If the cable rotates 2240 times over a 24 hour period, is the bike going 60 mph?

Digital speedometers are normally rated in pulses per mile, and usually come with a chart to convert tire circumference into pulses per mile.

As far as I know all speedomter and cable driven tach ratios are standardized, the difference in final drive ratios and tire circumference are taken care of at the sender end.
Okay that makes more sense.
I had no idea what he meant by ratios.

The gauges you buy should come with instructions on how to set them up.

Many are universal, and you just calibrate the unit to your bike.

·
20,826 Posts
I have a bike I took the tach and speedo off of, I just use a GPS for speed, and I have no need for a tach on it.

I put a gauge on it that tells me air/fuel ratio, oil temp, oil pressure, and thats it.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I have a bike I took the tach and speedo off of, I just use a GPS for speed, and I have no need for a tach on it.

I put a gauge on it that tells me air/fuel ratio, oil temp, oil pressure, and thats it.
I apologize for the thread hijack :oops:

But is your AFR gauge wideband or narrowband??
And got any info or a link?

Speedometer on the Turbo is useless anyway, who's got time to look!!
But I'd hate to melt the pistons :cry:

·
20,826 Posts
This one also has a boost gauge built into it so you may like this one more though.

I have started to put a/f gauges on all my bikes, sleds, boat, etc.

I find it is often far better than the many useless gauges on stuff, that are really not needed IMO.

When riding, I barely even look at a tach anyways, I shift by sound and feel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts