Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on a new set of tires for my 900 Custom.

I think I'm going to go 200 on the rear.

Is there a better tire than the Metzeler 880 or is that the most popular choice for our bikes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just replaced the factory tires on my 900 classic with the 880's and I'm extremely impressed with them right now. Then again I only have about 100 miles on them so far. I'm stationed in Italy right now and their roads don't drain water like American roads do so its a lot slicker than anything I have road on in the states. Saying that, I can ride in or after a hard rain here and I am able to take corners almost as easily as I do when the roads are dry. But then again I am still breakin' them in.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Great tire for the 900, I have over 13k on mine.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I have Metzlers and have upgraded to the 200/70-15 rear and 90/90-21 front. I just replaced my rear at 17,292 miles on the rear tire. Mind you, I still had 2/32" of tread left, but I could feel it slipping on hard braking.

I looked at the Pirelli Night Dragons, but they didn't have the 200 AND the 90/90, so I passed. I have heard that since the Night Dragons are so new, the websites don't list the new sizes yet. I was told that they do indeed have the 200 and 90/90, but I had already purchased my Metzler.

I know that I don't have clearance issues with the Metzler's, but I am not sure if the Pirelli's would. I have heard that the Avon 200 is slightly larger in diameter than the Metzler and the inner shield needs to be modified or removed when using the Avon tire. This is information available on this forum.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
I've got the Avon Venom 200/70-15
it's a bit bigger than the Metz, and the tread pattern is more like a sportsbike which is why i preferred the look.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Depends on how your ride. I went with the Avon for the softer compound since I tend to ride agressive in the twisties. The tread pattern, or lack of, wouldn't be my first choice if I frequently rode in the rain, but on plain wet surfaces it seems to do very good.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
Got about 500 miles on my Metz and they are terrific. Did the 200 and the 90/90 even though I didn't need a new front yet. Thought I would test the mileage and see how they fared. The 200 rides much smoother and quieter than the stockers did. I haven't tried the Avons yet, but I might go there on my next swap just to test.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Don't forget to consider the "DARKSIDE"... That's my next tire...

·
Big, Bald, Beautiful!
283 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the Metz 880's, so that's my next purchase too. Got 8800 out of the stock rear, but it's almost below tread limits now.

Off the cuff, putting the Metz 200 on a 900, does it help correct the speedo issue any at all? I know, search ya big dumb bald guy, right? At work though, so easier to ask real quick before my "forum activity" is noticed. :D

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Off the cuff, putting the Metz 200 on a 900, does it help correct the speedo issue any at all? I know, search ya big dumb bald guy, right? At work though, so easier to ask real quick before my "forum activity" is noticed. :D
Yup - corrects the speedo error nicely. Almost perfectly accurate after I added it to my 900 Classic.

·
'08 900 custom
739 Posts
I just put the Metz 800 90/90-21 on the front of my bike today, fills in the fender ALOT nicer then the stocker. I have the Avon 200/70-15 for the rear for sale now because I just put the mimic 210 wheel and Metz 210 tire I bought from Trashman on the rear. I had no issues at all with the Avon 200. Rode really good in a downpour and it has about 7,000 miles on it and still looks brand new.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the Metz 880's, so that's my next purchase too. Got 8800 out of the stock rear, but it's almost below tread limits now.

Same here, it seems to have put the speedo (and odo?) right in line..

·
Certainly uncertain
146 Posts
I switched out my stock Dunnies for for the Metz's and really liked the difference. I don't know if it was teh sipes in the Dunnies or what, but they felt squirmy under me whereas the Metz's felt much more solid. Check the forums, I think a lot of Metz owners, and even the Metz web site, suggest running a PSI higher than recommended on the tire or 900 manual. Go figure.

·
Registered
858 Posts
There may be something better, it's all subjective. All I know is the factory Dunlops wore out way too soon on the 900 LT and I chose the Metzelrs. Glad I did-I'm very pleased with them.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Wondering if the Metz are better on the front. My stock Dunlops 'hunt' or shift the front end when crossing road paint!
That's one thing I love about my Metzlers.....they don't grab tar snakes or road paint like my stock Bridgestones (Flintstones) did.
Changing to Metzlers also changed the smoothness of the ride, and I found they did stick to the black top better, however I find they tend to be a little greasy on cold black top.
So far I have 8000 miles on the Metzlers, with lots of good thread left on the rear, and even more on the front.
I may try some Avon tires next time, as I hear they are very good as well (just to compare with the Metz's)

·
Registered
103 Posts
FWIW, I wasn't sure which way to go last time I bought tires. A friend of mine that rides a HD loved the Avon's, but from other's they liked the 880. So I bought 1 of each.

Put the 880 on the back, and about 1500 miles later put the Avon on the front. I should also point out I live on a gravel rd, about a mile from pavement. The Metz is still looking really good, I have about 8000 miles on it. The Avon has about 6500 on it and I will need to replace it in the next 1000 miles. I'm not happy with it at all. I will by another Metz for the front.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
The Metz front definitely helped with the tar snakes and tracking. Actually I am happier with what the front tire did for the bike than the rear. The rear is just as Dudester described for me as well. It grips great and feels far more solid than the stock Dunnies, but it does feel a little slippery when it's really cold. It also took longer to wear off the slippery stuff they put on from the factory than I expected. Probably 250 miles or more as opposed to the 100 the dealer told me to "take it easy" lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got the Avon Venom 200/70-15
it's a bit bigger than the Metz, and the tread pattern is more like a sportsbike which is why i preferred the look.
Did you have to modify anything to fit the Avon 200?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts