Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a mint 1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD and as I have been bit by the vintage bug I would like to find a set of new original tires and a real shop service manual for this year of bike. I already have a clymer manual but it covers so many other models that it is a pain in the you know what. The original tires are Goodyear (front)ML-90-19 and the rear is a Goodyear MT-90-16T both are raised white letter tires. I am sorry to bother everyone but I am at wits end and for me it was a short journey. Thank you so much for the help I do appreciate it..........Thanks Sheem

·
Registered
8 Posts
77 LTD

Sheem,
I used to have a mint '77 LTD; bought it new in '77, and should not have sold it in '85 (had bought an '84 Ninja the year before and was going on a trip to Europe with my new bike).
Sounds like you found one with just a few miles on it (I think I had about 25,000 miles on mine when I sold it).
I had the normal Mid-night blue model for '77, but had heard a rumor that there was a metalic brown model towards the end of the production run because the original paint had run out?
I'm now looking for another '77 in real nice shape, but the prices seem to be way up there close to what I paid for the bike in '77 (MSRP I believe was $3495 at the time) or still around $2G for one that's so-so).
I bought the regular Kawasaki service manual along with the separate "LTD" suppliment (which is not that many pages (10 to 20 pages)). I could make a copy of it and send it to you for the price of postage if you are interested. I'd still try and find the regular KZ900/1000 from Kawasaki at a used book store (it's about 1/2" thick) or try Kawasaki -you never know what they might still have in their old parts bin.
Thanks for bringing up the subject on this great old bike,
Carlos

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
84-NinjaK Thanks Carlos for returning my post I have been on vacation for the last week and have not been to my computer. I have looked all over the country for a service manual for my 1977 KZ 1000 LTD Kawasaki. When I say all over the country I went to the Vintage Motorcycle Days in Lexington Ohio last weekend and went through the 32 acres of swap meet vintage stuff.......Oh my god I have never walked so far and seen so many parts. I asked everyone that had manuals and could not find even one for my bike. I have a Clymer manual M359-3 but it covers so many bike that it is not specific and most are not like the KZ 1000 LTD. So when you are trying to do brake work on my bike it tells you to take off the cap on the rear caliper to expose the brake shoes but it doesn't have a removeable top so where do you start. This turned me off right off the git-go.......If you have a original Kawasaki dealer shop service manual and suppliment I would be delighted if you could Photo copy it and send a copy to me. Not only would I be happy to pay the postage but I would be happy to pay you something for your troubles and the photocopying. I don't want you to wreck your service manual to photo copy it though. Isn't it a bound service manual. ......I have by the way checked out the purchase of a service manual through the oldest Kawasaki dealer in Michigan and he said if he can't get them they can't be found except used. If you could help me Carlos I would be greatly Thankful.....I will be at 810-765-5633 for the rest of this week and next if you would like to talk in person. There is an answering machine if you want to leave your number and I will call you back to cut down on your phone bill. I am in Marine City Michigan............Thanks Sheem.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bikeaholic thanks for the reply and yes I believe I have talked to him, I went to the Vintage Motorcycle Days in Lexington OHIO last weekend and I want to tell you it was unbelievable. I found a NOS Goodyear 16 inch back tire with raised white letters and am still shopping for a 19 inch matching front and my bike will be exactly as it came out of the showroom and exactly as in the Kawasaki dealer brouchure. Haven't seen many of them. I finally have what I have wanted for 27 years. Now as I was telling Carlos I think I may have an addiction. Have joined the JVMC and the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Club, my girlfriend is about fed up with all the talk of motorcycle parts and old bikes. I guess she will put up with it or she won't..........Thanks again for the reply this is a great forum. If anyone knows where I can get original dealer brochures I would like to get my hands on as many old different years as I could............Thanks Sheem.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
77 LTD1000 micro-fiche

Greg;
was looking for info on my '84 Ninja and ran across this site that had a parts list for the '77 LTD 1000 on micro-fiche; check it out at www.motocom.com/motorcycles/1977.
I'm working on getting you a copy of my Kawasaki Shop Manual & I've already made the copy of the suppliment.
Good talking to you the other day, and enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Best Regards,
Carlos

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carlos thanks for the information. The vacation was cut short due to Mary having to go back to work on Saturday afternoon shift at the old age home. So I am going to work on my bike and get the NOS Goodyear Eagle HST raised white letter tire for the front ready to take and get it changed and balance. The dealer couldn.t believe that I got one so I am contemplating on buying another set to be able to ride it and still keep it completely stock for years to come. I told you it must be middle age Crazy........Thanks again Sheem.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Carlos if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. Just completed working on my bike for the last 6 hours. New chain, new back sprocket, new rear sprocket and totally redid all of the seals Orings and cleaned up the nothing wrong with rear brake caliper piston put it all back together and was so hot thought I would take it for a ride. Did I tell you that my drag race buddy that has 11 rideable bikes in his garage was helping me he said for moral support more than anything. Well I got 8 miles bown the road and the KZ 1000 LTD seemed a little sluggish, I down shifted to slow down and take a look and the darn thing almost locked up the back wheel, with the rotor blue as the bike itself. What an end to a great holiday.The starter when out on my Roadmaster wagon and now my bike is having trouble. Oh well it could be worse...........Have a great one and hopeing to hear from you soon ...........Thanks Sheem

·
Registered
2 Posts
shop manual

I picked up the factory shop manual for my 77 KZ750 at www.buykawasaki.com

Thats probably a familiar URL around here the they were able to supply me with the factory service and owners manuals. They also have the online parts diagrams that you can print out if you like.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larry thanks for the help as you can probably see from my last post thing aren't going so good in the motorcycle department.... Thanks for the info I am going to the site right now and am going to find out what if anything I did wrong.......Thanks.......Sheem..........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larry just tried the websitewww.buykawasaki.com and when I put in my VIN number they said that it was wrong and I should try again. So I tried again twice then went to the bike and copied the number on a piece of paper to be sure and still nothing. I wonder if it is due to the fact that the bike is in Canada. I need an exploided view of the rear end to see if I have got something in wrong with the rear brake. The bike has cooled bown and the rear end seems fine I am at wits end but I will keep plugging away at it because someone made it and it is only a piece of machinery. If it can't be fixed it must not be broken.......The Millwrights code........Thanks again ............Sheem........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brake Problems?

Sorry to hear that something locked-up on the old LTD.
I did send you the copy of the supplement, but it really doesn't have any detail on the rear end.
I'm still trying to finish making a copy of the standard manual, but haven't finished - is there a section I can fax to you in the meantime, or e-mail a pdf file?
Just let me know, and hang in there, it can be fixed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carlos I have a lot of motorhead friends and I am not bad mechanically myself but one of my friends may have come up with the answer. I was at the plant today at 4:45am today not being able to sleep worrying about the problem with the rear brake and questioning my installation. My buddy shows up and I tell him what it did after I had completely rebuilt the rear caliper. His exact words were " You may think I am crazy but I think I know what is wrong and how to fix it " Ok he had my attention because I didn't have a clue. He said that a brake line had collapsed and I just needed to replace the brake line with a new one. Being the skeptic that I am I let him leave assuring him I would order one Tuesday. Then I set to make sence of the thought that it may be a colapsed brake line. If the brake line was collapsed then how would the brake work while it was on the stand? the answer is that the master cylinder has a great amount of pressure and it could produce enough pressure to push the brake fluid past the constriction. Why wouldn't it release the brake? The answer to that one is that there is very little pressure for the piston to be released thus pushing the fluid back to the master cylinder, if there is a constriction and the pressure can't be released then the presure is increased on the brake pads each time the brakes are applied and not released and this causes het to the point where some where down the road the back brake will heat to the point that it stops the bike and turns the rotor blue. I know it sounds crazy but it makes sence and it is the only viable solution....... I Feel So Much Better. Thanks but I don't think I put the back wheel spacers in wrong but If you second guess yourself long enough you grasp at straws.. Thanks Carlos for everything and I am waiting for the shop manual. Thanks again. Sheem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All done and Ready for the Show

Well if you have been following this post by myself I am pleased to tell you Kawasaki fanatics that Sheems 1977 KZ 1000 B LTD is complete and I hope to be posting pictures as soon as I can find someone to scan them for me and each and everyone of you is invited to critic them. Thanks to those that helped stear me in the direction of finding parts you have all contributed a little to the completion of this bike and I am very proud of it. Thanks to all.....Sheem...

·
Registered
6 Posts
restoration of my LTD 1000 1977

My Kz LTD 1000

Here is photos previously and after the restoration of my LTD 1000 1977

The motorcycle was completely redone, the engine, the FRAME Powder Coating, The painting and the decals on TANK FUEL , SIDE cover, REAR FENDER cover , new Vance and Hines ' classic Megaphone Exhaust .
And new Tommaselli clubman bars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pretty nice bike Dan;

As Greg already knows, I used to have one of these babies; and the 77 is the best paint scheme.

What mirrors are those ?
I don't remember mine with stock mirrors like yours.

Nice pipe also; I'd placed a black chrome V&H's on mine way back when, but the chrome on yours really pops out nicely.

Carlos

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mirrors it's new

The mirrors is on a 1985 Eliminator® 900
The mirrors it's new
At home i have the original parts ( mirrors ,handlebar,Front Master Cylinde, original Muffler )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where did you find the tires, I'm looking for the same set for my LTD.
Bought mine new in 77, kept it stock, except for the rubber.
Thanks, Doug.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Doug,
this thread is over 4 years old. You might try using the email option on the person's profile to reach them. I've not seen him around here for the past year and a half since I joined.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts