Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently picked up a set of both vm26 and vm29 carbs.

The vm26 are in the best condition of the two so my intention is to overhaul them and use them on my GPz750.

Unfortunately, the cable holder is missing and out of stock at the usual places.

Does anyone have one or know where I can find one please?

The part number is 16077-014

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
That's a tall order David. The only thing I can think of is to reach out to some of the places that specialize in rebuilding vintage carbs. They may have some junked carbs that they use for parts.
You could try Wired George (no affiliation).

Failing that, if you can get your hands on one to use as a template, you could likely make one or have it made for you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it’s a long shot and will probably end up fabricating something myself but it’s always worth asking.

Thanks for the link, I’ll have a search round to see if there’s an equivalent this dude of the pond.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I may have found the correct part; I’ve bought it anyway to see if it fits.

It should mount using the same bolts mounting the idle adjuster.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
I don't see a part that looks like the one you bought in the bottom of the two carb holders.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know, there doesn’t seem to be anything to hold the cables and I’m wondering if they got by without?

It should be possible as the sheaths are fastened at the bar end. I’ve ordered one of these to hold the two cable ends together above the carbs, that should work.

I’ve also bought this and may make a bracket to support it off the carb holder.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
Have you reached out to Wired George? The part is small, so shipping from USA to UK should not be bad.

I would be very careful when it comes to throttle cables. You don't want to cut corners and risk a jammed, wide open throttle cable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, but their contact us page states that they don’t sell parts and will only give technical advice to customers so I don’t think they’re going to help.

I can figure something out and will make sure that it’s safe before I venture out onto the road with it.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
No, but their contact us page states that they don’t sell parts and will only give technical advice to customers so I don’t think they’re going to help.
What if their technical advice was that a Suzuki or Yamaha part will work in place of 16077-014?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What if their technical advice was that a Suzuki or Yamaha part will work in place of 16077-014?
They won’t give technical advice as I’m not a customer. I don’t need to buy a set of carbs from them and it’s not practical to send mine over to the USA for refurbishment.

I’m sure Suzuki (maybe Yamaha too) have their own part number for the item as I suspect it came direct from Mikuni with the rest of the carb set.

I’ve not looked but will see if I can find a number on a Suzuki parts diagram, cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
Yes, I guess if they are sticklers they might refuse to talk to you because you are not a customer. I understand why they don't want to give out jetting advice and spend an hour on the phone with a non-customer, but I would have thought they might answer a quick question. Anyway, enough on that. It was a long shot at best.

Finding a cross reference to another bike that uses Mikuni would be good, as their supply might not be depleted.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve actually got a couple of pictures of it now and can see how it differs from the more common plate/holder. Someone selling a set of carbs was kind enough to sent me a couple of photos.

I could ask him if he’ll sell the part I want separately but I very much doubt he would.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts