Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i just bought a bike, didn't look it over to well.... which is why i'm discussing my grinded off vin problems in another topic, BUT in this topic, i drained the oil to discover...a nice milkshake of oil/water. it's been sitting in a garage i THINK so the water isn't from outside sources i don't think, So are bikes just like cars? i'm a car guy been out of the bike scene for about 4 years, and never worked on a OHC motorcycle engine like this one, so i'm assuming it's the headgasket, is the head most likely warped? any input? it's a 1990 kawasaki ninja zx750r.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way, i drained the coolant aswell and it was very rusty....the bike seemed to run good too :-/ :evil:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm mainly a car guy too. Just starting to learn more about motorcycles. But I tend to agree with your assessment. Seems like a blown headgasket to me.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i responded in your other thread about this but ill add another thing to check.

1. do a leak down test and look for bubbles in the coolant

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't have a leakdown tester....guess it'll sit in the garage till i move back to phoenix and can rent one for the day. then out comes the motor and the rolling chassis can go to vin inspection!

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you want to see if its a blown gasket.. why dont you jsut fill up the coolent and run the bike.. if you get alot of white smoke and youll know by the smell instanly ( smells sweet) that theres a leak.. or if you dont see that and the level of the coolant hasnt droped then i would say theres no leak.. thats if the bike is still running now..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Coolant leaking into the cylinder isn't the only sign of a blown head gasket. You may not see white smoke in the exhaust and even if coolant does leak into the cylinder, it may be small enough where you won't notice any smoking. Coolant can also leak into the lubrication system. Hence the description of chocolate milk or milk shake when describing oil drained from an engine where coolant has mixed with the engine oil. As QKENUF4U said, you need to really test for a blown head gasket to be absolutely sure. A leak down tester as QKENUF4U suggested is one way. Another is to use a chemical detector to sniff out any CO gas in the cooling system. I have such a tester which uses a chemical that is normally blue but will change to yellow in the presence of CO. The sniffer is similar to a large turkey baster which olds this chemical. You fit this detector into the radiator neck and draw the vapor from the radiator into the detector. Only takes a few minutes to know for sure if there is a head gasket issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts