Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1998 VN1500 Classic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyas All,

My Oil change is comming up soon, so i have been looking for a good quality oil for this change.
I used a cheapo 20w50 oil in my Vn1500 last oil change, but from now on i want to use a better quality 20w50 oil.
I came across this british oil, which to me, ticks all the right boxes, but what do you guys think ??, also, has anyone here used it before, if so, how good is it compared to other 20w50 motorcycle oils ??

Thanx in advance for your answers,

aPoPhus

PS: The Oil Info is below:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Millers Oils Automotive product range
ENGINE OIL
PRODUCT NAME AND VISCOSITY:
ZSS 20w50

DESCRIPTION:
A high performance semi-synthetic engine oil for 4 stroke motorcycle engines requiring a SAE 20w50 viscosity.
Based on the highest quality performance additives and shear stable viscosity improvers in synthetic and mineral oils.

APPLICATION:
Use as received for lubrication of 4-stroke motorcycle, kart and scooter engines specifying a SAE 20w50 viscosity.

USER BENEFITS:
• Ideal for V-twin and older, larger capacity engines.
• Sophisticated performance additive package offers maximum protection and reliability.
• Viscometrics reduce oil consumption making this oil particularly suitable for long distance and severe operating conditions.
• Formulated to provide high temperature viscosity at the top limit of an SAE 50 which ensures that oil pressure will be maintained under extreme conditions.
• Suitable for use in machines fitted with oil immersed ‘wet’ clutches.

PERFORMANCE PROFILE:
API SG/SH/SJ
ACEA A3

TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
SAE Viscosity Grade ... 20w50
Specific Gravity @15°C ... 0.888
Kinematic Viscosity @100°C ... 22.0cSt
Kinematic Viscosity @40°C ... 190cSt
Viscosity Index ... 140
Pour Point °C ... -15
Flashpoint °C ... 200
Cold Crank [email protected]°C ... 7,000cP

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
They do not indicate if the ZSS 20W50 meets JASO-MA specs, but their ZFS 10W40 does.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My bike didn't like the 20/50 weight at all,it's a water cooled bike me personally 20/50 is over kill.unless maybe your in a very hot climate.thats just my opinion.

·
1998 VN1500 Classic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Guys, thanx for the info. :)

I have always used 20w50 in my bikes & had no ill effects in over 30 years of riding.
As for the "Jaso-MA" Spec, that is new to me, so i have just spent a good couple of hours reading up on it & its very interesting.
I think the "Jaso-MA" Spec 10w40 could be the oil that i will put in my bike this oil change.
Will there be any differences that i may notice by running this lighter weight oil in my bike ??
Thanx again,

aPoPhus

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
My past experience showed me that going from 20W50 to 10W40 made my engine rev faster and the bike felt quicker. It also took less time to warm up (I suppose because the oil was thinner it didn't take as long to thin out) but this was a carbuerated Shadow 1100.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I stick with the 20w50. Mostly because I am in central Fl and we dont typicaly see temps below 30 very often, but highs of 90+ in the summer is a daily thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts