Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i install mini apes on my vulcan 1600 with out changing cables.if so what height & brand would be best

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Redspot: I am also interested in mini-apes for my 900LT. The 9 inch or 10 inch rise is all I am looking for, but they are hard to find without paying an arm and a leg. There is one site, Khrome Works that seems to have a good variety and fair prices.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
I'd like to see the minis on the 1600. that might be sweet..

Do a google search for metric handlebars and you get a bunch of options
jpcycle, flanders, jardine etc. Stock cables prolly aren't long enough.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I have 13 inch elcheapo apes on my 1500 and didnt change anything
you can see pics on the link

VROC :: Member Profile
You didn't change out the cables or brake line? I put the Phat II risers on my 1500 and the throttle cables had to be taken out of the clip on the frame to not bind. I was under the impression that more than that would mean changing things out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I didnt change anything whatsoever did undo the clip and they dont bind tho it would look better with longer line and cables but it functions fine. been on there for 2 years with no problems

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Redspot: I am also interested in mini-apes for my 900LT. The 9 inch or 10 inch rise is all I am looking for, but they are hard to find without paying an arm and a leg. There is one site, Khrome Works that seems to have a good variety and fair prices.
Polski, just thought i'd let you know that i put 9 inch mini apes on with 4.5inch pullback Phatt Risers. I love it and the only thing i changed was my brake line. Everything else, i was able to make work by relocating it all to the back of the triple tree.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Locally

Vindiana: I may have asked you this before, but where did you get your mini-apes?
I bought them locally. They cost me about $60.00 plus install. Think it was about $150.00 total.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Hey BD: Did not want to disconnect any of the lines or cables, how can you re-route the cables to behind the tree without disconnecting them? It seems like the easiest and safest way to go is by removing the top tree, or am I missing something? I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Surely once you've pulled the controls off the bars, you could then remove your headlight, and then thread the controls and cables back through the triple trees?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
perhaps

Surely once you've pulled the controls off the bars, you could then remove your headlight, and then thread the controls and cables back through the triple trees?
I dunno, maybe you could. All I know is that it took less than 1/2 hour to remove the tree cap n reroute. I was told to to it that way by 2 diff mechs and by a mech at Scootworks. Try it your way and let us know.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
easy

How hard was it to remove the top of the triple tree and locate the cables to the back of the tree?
Its been awhile so i may miss something here but if i remember correctly all i did was to raise the front of the bike off the ground and remove the center nut and loosen the 2 pinch bolts on the sides. I think i asked the guys at Scootworks, what the torque was for both. I also took the windshield off. Took about 30 minutes. Nothing had to be taken off for cables nor lines because it was all just rerouted to the back of the tree and then i used cable ties and i ordered special cable brackets ( chrome ) for some of it as well. I'm not saying that there isn't another or perhaps easier way. I'm just telling you guys how i did it.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Many thanks to both Vindiana & El Skitzo for their valuable input. I will check out the idea about the headlight removal first, then look into removing the top of the tree. Either way, I hope the additional length I gain in the cables will allow me to install a pair of mini-apes (9 or 10 inch) without having to purchase anything else. Thanks again fellas.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
The brown Santa came by last Friday night and delivered the two sets of mini-apes that I found on e-Bay. One was was advertised as being slightly used (it had been used so much that the chrome was worn off in several areas), and the other was a new set. The new set was chosen for installation and still had the distributors sticker still on it. The bars are designed for a 93-97 HD Wide Glide and only needed one small hole drilled to hold the start/kill switch assembly. I did re-route the clutch cable to the back of the triple tree and had to release the brake line from some of it's retaining brackets. Everything else had enough slack to make the new fit. Have not had it out for a ride yet, the weather here is colder than a well diggers butt. So far, they feel good from the seat and they look great. Will try to post pics soon.

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts
check out these pics , can't answer any ? on the first one just funny The vulcan has 20" apehangers with all internal wiring and custom hydraulic lines . if you take the stock clutch line and route it in from the top rather than go all the way around the motor and then up to the clutch cylinder it will free up 14" of line.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The vulcan has 20" apehangers with all internal wiring and custom hydraulic lines
16" apes here...
I went +8 on brake and clutch, +6 on throttle. Should have gone +10 on everything:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts