Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a '98 500R Ninja as my first bike and I'm very pleased with it. It looks perfect and runs great. I was just wondering if there are any minor adjustments (prefereably cheap ones!) that i can make to the bike to improve performance/HP/asthetics.. anything really. I'm new to the bike world and i was just wondering what changes i should/can make to the stock model to get improvements. Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
ZX-2R should pop in here in a while and tell you to take off your centerstand. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
stage 1 air filter, about £30
stage 3 air filter, about £80
stage 1/3jet kit, about £88
Aftermarket pipes (2-1) about £300
New screen, about £40-50
Fender elimator kit, $60(ish)

·
Registered
78 Posts
how much do you loose off the top end if you do that?
i am currently getting a top top end of 128mph (thats with a 240lb me on the back thou :D)

·
Registered
78 Posts
ahh, i thought you meant that you had done this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cale said:
I think you will have about the same top, but at higher rpm.
Well, think about it. If the top speed is their rev limiter, then higher revs would mean that they hit the rev limiter at a slower speed....So a lowered top speed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
He's getting a top of 128mph. It's just at 10,297rpm (limiter is set about 11,200). Stock total ratio in 6th is 5.789. With 15 teeth sprocket at front total ratio will be 6.167. For the same 128mph top speed bike will hit 10,966rpm. This is just before the red zone. Theoretically you are right, but practically you are wrong.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cale said:
He's getting a top of 128mph. It's just at 10,297rpm (limiter is set about 11,200). Stock total ratio in 6th is 5.789. With 15 teeth sprocket at front total ratio will be 6.167. For the same 128mph top speed bike will hit 10,966rpm. This is just before the red zone. Theoretically you are right, but practically you are wrong.
I'm right, if his rev limiter is what's stopping him at top speed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: ?

Jadonian said:
how in the world do you guys figure that stuff out?
Well, i didn't figure any of that out...Only Cale. So, the question is, how did Cale figure that stuff out? Probably google, or from his own personal knowledge.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You cannot find it on google. Bat he's not hiiting his rev limiter at 128mph. EX 500 cannot hit limiter in 6th (yes but downhill). How I get it. In owners manual you can find something, you need to know perimetar of stock rear tire(you can find on google or take a measuring tape) and to do some calculation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i dont think i have a rev limiter tbh :/ (i have taken it up to 12k before when i got distracted while riding) however my top end of 127 is at about 10.5k revs :D and i think its more wind resistance which is stopping me going any faster.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: ?

Jadonian said:
how in the world do you guys figure that stuff out?

At any given speed, your wheel is going to be moving at a specific RPM. You need to know the overall diameter of the tire for that. Once you know the speed the wheel is moving, you can calculate RPM based on the gear ratio and sprocket ratio. It works the other way around as well. If you know the engine speed, you can calculate the wheel speed, and then using the diameter of the wheel, calculate your road speed. In a specific gear, the ratio between engine speed and road speed is a constant.

Same works for cars, just use each specific gear ratio and the final drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Narcisse91 said:
Teknik said:
ahh, i thought you meant that you had done this.
I have, but why the hell would I be going 120 or 130mph?

Why not, in america i thought your roads were straighter than ours, a straight road is both an invitation and a challange.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts