Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broken the glass on the mirror of my GPz550. It already had Emgo mirrors but looked like the style for the ZX900 and not the GPz ones.

Local auto glass shop doesn't want to cut a mirror for me as they have nothing to glue the glass against. Anybody got ideas on what I could fill the mirror housing with?

Ball park figure, I'd need about a cup (250ml) of material to fill the housing, then the glass shop will cut me a slightly smaller glass and glue it against the filler. Also ann issue is making the fill stick to the plastic housing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bondo, will it stick properly to the plastic? I guess I'd have to fill it in steps so it dries properly...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sticks to the plastic on fairings???? You could just test it out. Why not just stick a cut out piece of aluminum and glue that to the mirror on the inside?

·
Registered
115 Posts
What about jb weld? Seems like an all purpose epoxy to me. Plus, being more fluid and with a longer cure time than bondo, it can self-level a little better after you smooth it in there. Also, there are kneadable epoxies you can smooth with water and a flat tool to get it perfect. Ask your glass guy if epoxy will stick to whatever he glues with. I'll bet its a form of epoxy. He might even be able to just pour it in there and set the mirror into it.

Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do the mirrors come off? Are they part of the fairing? The self- leveling stuff I wrote requires you to take it off and lay it down flat. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
JB weld would work as well.....

I'm guessing that what you are trying to do is build up enough of the mirror area to apply a mirror.

oh, oh... you could also buy liquid foam at Home Depot to build up the area and it expands and you can shave it down if necessary. I'm pretty sure if you applied the mirror while the foam was expanding it would actually adhere to it. I used that stuff on a window and for the life of me I couldn't get it open a few summers ago as it was sealed so tight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1Adam12 said:
JB weld would work as well.....

I'm guessing that what you are trying to do is build up enough of the mirror area to apply a mirror.

oh, oh... you could also buy liquid foam at Home Depot to build up the area and it expands and you can shave it down if necessary. I'm pretty sure if you applied the mirror while the foam was expanding it would actually adhere to it. I used that stuff on a window and for the life of me I couldn't get it open a few summers ago as it was sealed so tight.
Yes Adam, that's what I want, fill up the mirror housing, which is just like a big spoon, in order to have an area on which I could glue the mirror glass onto. Only the glass broke, I guess the plastic just bent a little so it's okay.

I'll have the glass cut to size, buy some expanding foam, fill the mirror housing cavity, stick in the glass and hold it up with rubber bands or something while the foam dries.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad it seems to be working...Let it get a good dry in before testing it out. You can always clear silicon around the edges if it doesn't seem to be holding the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts