Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got my fairing the othe day and decided to put my bike back together so I could get a feel for how it was gonna look as a whole. The holes in the front of the bags are for 4" speakers. The holes in the back are for 39 ford tail lights. I guess I should have put them in for the pics.(sorry) All lights will be shaved off rear fender. The bags,fairing,radiator grill,calipers,and footpeg brackets will all be painted to match bike. And possibly some other small things, I just got to make sure I dont get carried away with the blue. Any of you oldtimers recognize these bags? the bags are modified slightly. They had a seam running down the front across the bottom and up the back. I filled all that in with fiber glass and cut holes for speakers and lights. I hand made the hinges and latches out of stainless steel and the are all internal. All fasteners are concealed. I used 6-32 flat head screws to go threw the bag and into a tapped 11ga. plate.the result is I have metal "studs" inside the bag to attach hinges and latches, but smooth on the outside. I covered over the flatheads with fiberglass. So when they are done it will be an ultra clean look(no hardware or fasteners outide the bags other than chrome locks that are about 3/4" diameter that will be on top of lids). I will have 4" speakers mounted in each bag and 4x6 speakers up front in a custom dash I an making for the fairing. And of course am/fm cd radio

Attachments

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
It all comes together with the shot from the front . . . nice.

·
V 2win
444 Posts
Looks Great!!!! What brand of bags are those? How much, where did you get em?

·
guitar junkie
1,487 Posts
That will look really sharp. Post more pics on the progress. The tail lights will be the crowning jewel. Nice work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone for your opinions. The bags are vintage Bates bags. Found on late 60's early 70"s bmw and motoguzzi and probably some others.I got them off ebay for 36 bucks. I can tell you though that originally they look more like luggage than saddlebags. Like I said earlier I modified them a lot. I have been thinking about cutting and stretching them so they are a couple inches taller. Do you think it would be worth the effort of do they look fine as is?

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Love the flow of the bike's lines. I think you've got a winner on your hands!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts