Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi eveyone Im new to the forum, My question is, Im going to buy the 04 mean streak, great bike, looks awsome. Im going to get the dealer to put cobra pipes, a hyper charger and a remapping thing on it to give her more hp. Is this a good combination? and will it make the same level of grunt as the Yamaha warrior? anything I should take into consideration? Thanks in advance for the imput

·
Registered
487 Posts
blompod, first of all welcome.
as far as your upgrades, IMHO, the cobra pipes would be my last choice due to the quality of their chrome. from what I've read the muzzy 2in1 offers the best hp gain. but if you like the look of the 2in2 pipes then you could go with something like the vance-hines bigshots which offer a crossover tube that makes the 2-2 perform like the 2-1. there are also other brands of pipes that offer similar features with good quality chrome.

also the hypercharger looks cool but actually takes some hp away on the meanstreak. you should maybe consider a thunder air kit or something similar.

for the "remapping thing" I personally like the Powercommander usb. it seems to have the best range of tunibilty.

I haven't compared the meanie to the warrior and don't know about the grunt issue, but I'm pretty confident the meanie will out handle it :D

these are just my opinions.

good luck and ride safe :D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would have to agree with Vapor. I'm not a Meanie owner, but recently did a great deal of research before replacing the stock pipes on the Vulcan. Of all the pipes I read about -- HK, V&H, Jardine, Cobra, Sampson - Cobra owners had the most complaints.

As for air kits, I've read great things about the Thunder products. I intentionally orderd the Thunder round fluted air kit because of the performance improvement, and that it doesn't stick out 6 inches and interfere with your right leg like the hyperchargers do.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with the new bike! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, wow didnt think a hyper charger would take hp away, shame they do look cool, but yes, the test bike I road had one and really gets in the way of the right leg, and god forbid if you had an accident the hyper charger would destroy your leg. Will look into the other brands you mentioned. Is it worth the expense? I mean are the gains really noticable?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

the guys above pretty much nailed it down :lol:

·
Registered
427 Posts
vaporgas2000 said:
blompod, first of all welcome.
as far as your upgrades, IMHO, the cobra pipes would be my last choice due to the quality of their chrome. from what I've read the muzzy 2in1 offers the best hp gain. but if you like the look of the 2in2 pipes then you could go with something like the vance-hines bigshots which offer a crossover tube that makes the 2-2 perform like the 2-1. there are also other brands of pipes that offer similar features with good quality chrome.

also the hypercharger looks cool but actually takes some hp away on the meanstreak. you should maybe consider a thunder air kit or something similar.

for the "remapping thing" I personally like the Powercommander usb. it seems to have the best range of tunibilty.

I haven't compared the meanie to the warrior and don't know about the grunt issue, but I'm pretty confident the meanie will out handle it :D

these are just my opinions.

good luck and ride safe :D
After a month of riding with Cobra shotguns against my dealers recommendation I ended up replacing the Cobra's with Hard Krome Bubs and have been in heaven ever since. The Cobra's just did not tune well on the 1600 MS and were not as throaty as I liked.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Before I bought my '04 Meanie I test rode the Warrior.
Boy talk about power ! It was amazing but despite to me looking like the coolest cruiser on the planet I just did not feel comfortable on it. It felt all wrong to me for some reason. It was just too nervous in the steering or something. Couldn't wait to get it back to the dealership.
Anyway my Meanie now has V&H bigshots,PC III and Hypercharger and goes great :D Don't think as quick as a Warrior but then it feels so much more relaxed. The Hypercharger does hang out a fair bit and I don't notice it's there but having said that I'll be swapping it out for a thunder filter or BAK soon.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome blompod, There are quite a bit of mean streak riders here and lots of posts on the bike and performance. I also agree with vapor. For intake, must go with thunder manufacturing, then with the powercomando, and lastly for the pipes, well ... that's going to be a harder choice than you first think. There are plenty of posts here that talk about pipes for the mean streak. Do a quick search and I think you will be happy with the information you will find. As for the warrior comparison... the warrior may have more power, but what does more power matter if after a half hour of riding you want to get off the bike. Go with the mean streak, you will be happy you did. Ride safe, and once again, welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts