Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to see what some of the "popular" or common mods are that people do to Ninja 250's. Thanks.

Kyle

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MODS

Kyle, Some of the mods depend upon your height, weight, upper torso versus lower torso length...If you are short tehn you are pretty well set...if your upper torso is taller then you can add a taller windscreen to stay in the airstream...longer in the bottom you may want rearsets. mods aren't always something tha tyou uhave to buy. setting comfortably on your biek reset yor brake and clutch levers so that you don't have to reach over the bars to grab them. Purchase BETTER stickier tires these are the most important things on your bike. If you are into suspension settings the remove your rear shock as pper your Maintenance manual and keep notes in a notebook about what measurements that you are making. Aftermarket exhaust loses much weight, so does removing your centerstand...cutting part of yor rear fender off, changing out lamps for LED's, changing out your horn for some freeway Blasters like the Dual set from FIAMM...changing out the air filter with K&N using 10-40 oil till about 3,000 miles or till your gas mileage flattens out then changing over to 100% synthetic oil after that. IF you don't need all of your top end then decrease your front countershaft sprocket by one tooth....or if you are getting a new stickier back tire order a rear sprocket that is 3 teeth larger than the one that you currently have and order a new chain and keep the old one in a ziplock...flushmount turnsignals, a KRYTONITE Cable that you can lock your front rear and to something else on when you are parked in the city...Probably the best things that you can order or purchase is better equiipment for you. A serious helmet, jacket, pants and a pair of decent, if even military boots, a rain suit, perhaps a tank bag to put your stuff into or a backpack to bungie it on the seat behind you, an LED emergency light for nite time use...and if I was breaking in a brand new bike and running low RPM's like recommended I'd run just one range hotter plug than required, then go to the standard just before you take it in for servicing. MOST IPORTANT (saved for Last) GET A BOOK and keep records of everything from the mileage date, chassis/frame serial number, motor serial number, key serial number, date of purchase, dealer, mileage, your information...keep EVERYTHING in this book, and you will find tha tyour documentation will solve lots of puzzles later...like when a clutch starts slipping , the bike startsg getting hard to start, plugs need to be changed, when your fuel mileage starts beconing betters and is finally about the same switchin g to synthetic. your airfilter needs changed...always check your tires and get a good gauge and always treat it gently...buy a great one not just a good one...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here are some popular ones:
1. Rear fender elimination
2. Put turn signals into the empty pods beside the brake light
3. Flush-mounted front turn signals
4. Sprocket changes
5. K&N air pods
6. Strip & polish the wheel lips and gas cap ring
7. Change to stickier tires
There's probably lots more common ones, but those are the first things that come to my mind.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MODS

Changing to the LED's will allow you to be seen better! The LED's are really bright and as a matter of FACT use less current. Taller windscreens are also a great mod if you feel that you are geting into the airstream...
Curt, has a way of making things look so detailed...I like his style!
As A Technical Writer, myself, I should revert to it...but the brainstorming class that I took in Creative wiriting is still winning over, it's just fun...to ramble...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I love LED's! They last virtually forever, they are energy efficient, and discreet LED's are cheap, cheap, cheap -- just like me.

But I've learned some fact and fiction about them. Like ZX-2R said, they use a lot less current for the amount of brightness you can get out of them. But, that brightness is very directional, not like an incadescent filament that shines in all directions. So when you consider that the LED's light primarily in one direction, they're not as efficient as you might think. They're still better than traditional lights, but not as miraculous as their reputation.

I think LED's for brake lights are a great idea, since that light needs to be directed to the rear, and other directions don't matter much. But a good LED turn signal should have LED's pointing in a variety of directions.

I'm very, very seriously considering adding LED's to my existing lights for brake and turn.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LED's

Absolutely right on, Curt! the turn signals are available now with the different directions...so that they aren't so directional...I'm really excited...I should have my bike up in about 6 weeks...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Figured this would be a good place to ask about mods instead of starting another topic...I'm planning on getting a 250 next spring. Between now and then i should have some money saved for a small down payment, my license, and the MSF course under my belt. I'm sure i'll want to add some mods after i'm used to the bike. Here's what i think i'll do to it:

1. Eleminate that ugly box above the back tire. I believe Kawasaki calls that thing a fender. :lol:
2. Muzzy exhaust
3. Stage 3 jet kit
4. K&N air filter
5. Taller windscreen, even though i'm not tall. This one kinda depends, i'll see after i ride the bike a while.
6. LEDs all around
7. Flushmount turn signals. Or, if i can find 'em, mirrors like the Aprilia RSV 1000R. Hopefully i can find those somewhere, haven't really looked yet.

Here are my questions:
1. How much better are air pods than the traditional filter?
2. This might sound crazy, but can you find turbos for 250s? I'll have my 250 for 2 years, at least...If they have turbos for 250s, might want one after a year or so. :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Rear Fender Md

You can either remove it...or, just cut off what you don't want. Then file and a final sanding to smooth it out. Use a micro marker on masking tape so that you nt only see the design before you cut but also so that the mark stays there and your cutting tool (Dremel?) doesn't wander to much.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Rear Fender Md

You can either remove it...or, just cut off what you don't want. Then file and a final sanding to smooth it out. Use a micro marker on masking tape so that you nt only see the design before you cut but also so that the mark stays there and your cutting tool (Dremel?) doesn't wander to much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts