Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking around at different things in this really helpful forum but I was wondering if their is a post or a sticky anywhere that explains the best mods for Kz1000's?

I've got an 81 LTD 1000 in excellent condition. It has dyna coils Kerker 4 into1, and steel braided brake lines. I've chosen not to do the K&N Pods, but I did a small rejet for the pipes. What are the best shocks for this bike? What tires do people like? Are there essential mods that I should make sure to do? Also I've got the stock 85 mph speedo, what's the best/cost effective way of getting something that will track speed up to 120?

Thanks in advanced,
Rhino

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Same bike as mine except I pulled the kerker off in favor of factory exhaust a few years ago. As for tires I can only tell you that I don't like the Dunlop 404. Not sure what I'm trying next. I'm still running factory shocks and springs on front and rear but looking to upgrade to Progressive brand very soon. There are no "essential" mods but one that might be required would be the coil repower mod. You could check your coil input voltage to see if yours needs it or not. Yep, the speedo only goes to 85. A sign of the times. I just use my tach to determine my speed in excess of 85, which isn't that often, at least not for any prolonged periods.

:worthless:

Did I forget to mention we like pics? :biggrin:

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Many years ago, an after market manufacturer made a small gearbox that mounted on the back of the 85 mile an hour speedometer. It had a small shaft that fit inside the stock speedometer with the exisiting cable going to it.

It made the instrument read double what was shown on the dial. So at 85 MPH indicated you were doing 170. The 85 MPH speedometer was another great idea from the Government to limit the speed on the highways then.

I think Joan Claybrook was behind the thinking of limit the speedometer to 85 MPH.

I'm not sure if any are still available now.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I had an 84 camaro with an 85 mph digital speedometer once. Anything above 85 and the number 85 would start flashing. I loved that car. It had a jam up stereo mounted on a pod from the factory. Only one I ever saw like it.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Many years ago, an after market manufacturer made a small gearbox that mounted on the back of the 85 mile an hour speedometer. It had a small shaft that fit inside the stock speedometer with the exisiting cable going to it.

It made the instrument read double what was shown on the dial. So at 85 MPH indicated you were doing 170. The 85 MPH speedometer was another great idea from the Government to limit the speed on the highways then.

I think Joan Claybrook was behind the thinking of limit the speedometer to 85 MPH.

I'm not sure if any are still available now.
The 81 LTD 1000 has an electronic speedo. :mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had an 84 camaro with an 85 mph digital speedometer once. Anything above 85 and the number 85 would start flashing. I loved that car. It had a jam up stereo mounted on a pod from the factory. Only one I ever saw like it.

84 berlinetta...i had one....stupid heater pod was junk on mine...oops....back on subject....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same bike as mine except I pulled the kerker off in favor of factory exhaust a few years ago. :
Thanks Stargate. Just out of curiosity why the stock pipes over Kerkers? Checked the power to the coils im only losing less than one volt from the batttery to the coils. I'll have to work on pics, I don't have any yet and there is a foot of snow out side in Ohio right now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced both of the guages in my '80 KZ1000 Shaft with guages from a '77, which i found on ebay for like $45.
I wanted, like you, a speedo that went past 85, and the gas guage inside my tach had failed. I used my power drill to match the odo's, then i had to fabricate the mounting pods to adapt '77 guages to my '80 E2 cluster.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Just out of curiosity why the stock pipes over Kerkers?
I ran the kerker for 25 years. 2 of the pipes were flattened a bit from being high centered, and the baffle had rusted completely out. I couldn't find a replacement baffle that I could be sure would fit and I was tired of not being able to hear what the engine was doing.

Does the "self canceling" function of your turn signals work?

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
The jetting on a J model motor is IDENTICAL with all options of pipes. Dual pipes for a J, dual shorties like an LTD, and a Kerker KR with DBAE baffle as found in the penultimate KZ1000R. So you just rejetted away some power. If it runs well, keep it.

Bridgestone BT45s are available in a 130/16 size. Run a 100/19 in front. Even the $75 eBay shocks are better than what comes on it. Progressive Suspension for those who can't afford Works or Ohlins.

I have never been able to confirm if English spec J models came with 150 MPH electronic speedos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran the kerker for 25 years. 2 of the pipes were flattened a bit from being high centered, and the baffle had rusted completely out. I couldn't find a replacement baffle that I could be sure would fit and I was tired of not being able to hear what the engine was doing.

Does the "self canceling" function of your turn signals work?
Yes "self canceling turns" work

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The jetting on a J model motor is IDENTICAL with all options of pipes. Dual pipes for a J, dual shorties like an LTD, and a Kerker KR with DBAE baffle as found in the penultimate KZ1000R. So you just rejetted away some power. If it runs well, keep it.

Bridgestone BT45s are available in a 130/16 size. Run a 100/19 in front. Even the $75 eBay shocks are better than what comes on it. Progressive Suspension for those who can't afford Works or Ohlins.

I have never been able to confirm if English spec J models came with 150 MPH electronic speedos.
Jetting stays the same for kerker 4n1 and K&N airbox filter? I went up one size and it still seems a little lean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts