Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has attempted and succeed going from a sprocket and chain to a belt drive on a KZ 1000 Police Special. Is it possible? Are there really advantages to attemping this? I know I am going to have to replace my sprockets and chains in the near future and am looking for guidance from someone who knows more than myself (which is anyone). Thanks for help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say it's probably a bad idea. While belts are relatively maintainence free they aren't meant for a great deal of torque. The KZ1000 motor would probably be too much for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you wouldn't mind me asking for some of your expertise. Since going with sprockets is probably the best bet, how does tooth number on the sprockets change the performance. Obviously a larger (more teeth) on the front and smaller (fewer teeth) on the rear would make the bike go faster but what, if anything are negative effects of this. Right now, I just plan on using the bike around town, until I feel more comfortable with it but I do plan on taking longer trips. Is staying with the current setup (15T/41T) a safe bet. My bike has been bored out and has been a little tricked out, even though it looks horrible. Trying to get reaquainted. Thanks for your help GPZ Bob.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

newshu-you got any pics of your bike?

that's one of my dream bikes to have :lol: -i love those things
if i can ever stop working on what i have now i'm gonna find one of those
bikes to play with :p

i agree with gpz-stay away from the belt
but for hiway riding i don't think i'd change the back sprocket at all
just the front to a 17 maybe-it'll just lower thr rpm's at hiway speeds
but you will lose a little of low end git up

i changed my 800's from 17 to 18 and it dropped the rpm's enough
at 70mph to take alot of the buzz out of the bike but did'nt ruin
the low end

·
Registered
95 Posts
The police bike wasn't set up as a fast bike (interceptor) but as a patrol bike. Either lower the tooth count on the rear or raise it on the front as bikeaholic said to increase top speed. This will lower rpm/speed ratio but will decrease low end "grunt". With a 1000cc's I can't think of a downside.

·
Registered
134 Posts
newshu13 said:
I am wondering if anyone has attempted and succeed going from a sprocket and chain to a belt drive on a KZ 1000 Police Special. Is it possible? Are there really advantages to attemping this? I know I am going to have to replace my sprockets and chains in the near future and am looking for guidance from someone who knows more than myself (which is anyone). Thanks for help.
http://www.scootworks.com/ might be of some help. You may need to contact them if they don't have a specific kit listed for your bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts