Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a modular helmet?
If so what brand, do you like it?, cost?, noise levels, comfort?
I would like one that has a retractorable sun shield built in!!

Thanks
Ride Safe & Long!!!
Catfish

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I use an HJC modular. I always use ear plugs but I have tried it without them...no thank you. But no matter what helmet I had I would still use ear plugs. Never had it in the rain, probably would leak. I don't need a sun shield on it because it is so easy to put sunglasses on or off. Very comfortable, no complaints.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Not first hand info., but a buddy of mine has used the below helmet for years and he rants and raves about how nice it is. BTW - The below link is to just give you product info. as they seem to only have one size in stock. And it DOES have a retractable sun shield. Ride Safe!! :)

Product Listing - Schuberth_Helmets

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wear the HJC Sy-Max. I wear ear plugs, but it isn't bad without. I use the Fog City hyper-optics insert which darkens in the sun and it does not fog - ever. No problems with leaking in the rain and I have ridden in a couple of real downpours. I find it very comfortable.

I replaced a HJC CL-15 with the Sy-Max helmet and find it quieter.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The wife wears a modular when we go over the pass (gets downright cold even when it's in the 70's in the valley) it is an inexpensive one made in Indonesia or somewhere like that. I think it is a Jmax, but it is good looking, construction is decent, DOT has okie-dokie'd it, the visor is interchangeable it has several vents, etc. For $159 it was the right deal for a helmet that only get's worn 3-4x per year (she likes her skid-lid).

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts
Anyone use a modular helmet?
If so what brand, do you like it?, cost?, noise levels, comfort?
I would like one that has a retractable sun shield built in!!
I use the Nolan N102:

It's a great helmet. Very comfortable. A friend who also has a Modular helmet tried it on and said he wished he bought it instead of the brand he got (we paid the same price: $250).

It definitely cuts down on the noise level of my 900LT but only when completely closed. The chin strap is a ratchet system that I like but will not work with most helmet locks.

It has vents in front & on top but doesn't vent as much as I would like. Been riding in 30+ degree weather and rain with this helmet and never had a complaint! Keeps your head warm and toasty in any weather! And when I need to cool down I just flip up the visor or the chin.

The sun shield works pretty good but hardly use it. only comes in handy when riding facing the sun. But then I didn't have this helmet during the summer either so I'm sure it will be useful then. But it's always there (flipped up) when I need it and doesn't cause any wind noise or buffering.

For me this has been worth every penny. I looked at a lot of modular & full face helmets before choosing this one.

Oh, another point. It fits close, so if you are used to a more loose fitting helmet you may want to go up a size.

One more point: everything on this helmet comes apart with no tools. Took me awhile reading the manual to figure it out. And it comes with a inner visor to prevent the helmet fogging up (haven't put it on yet).

With this helmet I don't see ever having to have a full face helmet.

Desmond

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love mine! Great for warm days just lift it up and now you have a open face helmet. I have 2-Taiwan, but am looking at the Shoi, Nolan and Shuber (Spell). Get a cheap DOT approved and if you like it upgrade. Beagle, I will have to look at those! Looks nice!

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
i wear this vega modular, it isnt bad, though the construction quality is iffy. Im not worried about it safety wise, but a decorative piece on the rear tried to fall off before i glued it back on (its not a functional piece and serves no purpose). i wouldnt buy another again tho, it lets entirely too much wind in with the vents and everything close, and it has a pretty fair amount of noise.

but it was cheap for what it is.. and does the job

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/g23228.jpg/Brand/VEGA/Class2/Helmets/Class3/Flip-Up%20Helmets/Class1/STREET%20PRODUCTS

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I am also a fan of the Nolan 102. When I was doing my research the reports I found said it was quieter than the Koren helmets and it list for about $300, but you can get it online cheaper. I really wanted to try it on before making my purchase so the only dealer in my area that had stock was BMW. For the privilege of being able to try on the helmet locally I went ahead an paid list on it. I have worn it from 35 to 105+ degrees and the fog shield does work. No complaints what so ever. Sometimes at slow speeds I either have the shield completely open of just cracked for extra venting. It does a great job of not transferring noise also. Regarding helmet locks, the strap works fine on the leatherlyke bag locks. You also might want to check out the model with the built in bluetooth.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have an older Nolan 100 modular, and still like it very much....but just bought a new Nolan 102, and its the sweetest helmet I have ever slipped my head into. :biggrin:

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I was actualy thinking of getting a modular for cold weather. Good to hear the reviews on the Nolan.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
My next helmet is the Shoei Multitec. Don't know when that will be though cause they're pretty pricey :(

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
and....

I use the Nolan N102:

It's a great helmet. Very comfortable. A friend who also has a Modular helmet tried it on and said he wished he bought it instead of the brand he got (we paid the same price: $250).

It definitely cuts down on the noise level of my 900LT but only when completely closed. The chin strap is a ratchet system that I like but will not work with most helmet locks.

It has vents in front & on top but doesn't vent as much as I would like. Been riding in 30+ degree weather and rain with this helmet and never had a complaint! Keeps your head warm and toasty in any weather! And when I need to cool down I just flip up the visor or the chin.

The sun shield works pretty good but hardly use it. only comes in handy when riding facing the sun. But then I didn't have this helmet during the summer either so I'm sure it will be useful then. But it's always there (flipped up) when I need it and doesn't cause any wind noise or buffering.

For me this has been worth every penny. I looked at a lot of modular & full face helmets before choosing this one.

Oh, another point. It fits close, so if you are used to a more loose fitting helmet you may want to go up a size.

One more point: everything on this helmet comes apart with no tools. Took me awhile reading the manual to figure it out. And it comes with a inner visor to prevent the helmet fogging up (haven't put it on yet).

Desmond
I'd like to add, it comes with Nolan's own anti-fog shield. Works great in winter.
Also, It come in four styles which are slightly different prices.
Mine was sized perfectly true to size.
The fit and finish are fantastic. Beautiful paint. Mechanically very well made.
This Nolan is the very best helmet I have ever owned.
Nolan Helmets on Extreme Supply

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
I have a VOX with built in shade like military pilots wear. Looks great. Wears comfortable. VERY quiet. Build in shade sucks!! Coated surface scratches almost by breathing on it, won't go back up if your going over 20mph unless you have a gorilla sized hand, and CANNOT be repaired or replaced. Also goes back up crooked, so you have to raise the shield and push it up even with your hand. Factory support sucks for what is supposed to be a $399 helmet! THEY CAN'T EVEN FIX IT! They just replace it! Hell, with all the stickers on mine, THEY cost almost as much as I bought the helmet for! They said all they could do is send me a new one, I PAY THE FREIGHT! There a couple other, but I don't know the quality. JC Whitney has one, can't find a catalog right now or remember the name.
Here is a link to see it.
Untitled Document

·
Love to Ride!
949 Posts
I've got a ZAMP Model FL-20 that really is very nice. Its comfortable, and has a quick change face shield (no tools required), along with the internal sun shield that is really nice. However, It is rather noisy and cost about $165 which is pretty cheap for all that you get.

·
Planning next trip...
116 Posts
I have the Nolan N100E. One of these days I'd like to get the N102 with BT and then make the N100E my passenger helmet.

The N100E was the first helmet I ever purchased. Unfortunately, I received the opportunity to crash test it. After a 40 ft face slide head first into a concrete pole, I must say the helmet did exactly what I hoped it would. That said, when I finally was able to jump in the saddle again, I bought a new Nolan.

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
I use the Nolan N102:

Desmond
+1 here. I own a few helmets and this is generally my favorite. It also has bluetooth capability (for cell phone, GPS, or MP3). I found a cheap way around the MP3 and have my ipod connected to some headphones that I found for $20 and that fit right in the helmet. The volume is just right for me.
Bottom line the helmet is well worth the $$$. PS I got mine more glossy black to match my ebony 900 at the time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts