Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i told yas i got my mojave back up and runnin well now im up sheit creak with out a paddle.my frickin out put shaft on the trans broke at the idler gear of the kick starter mech,SUMBEECH GRRRRRRRRRRRR any ways is there a way i can split this case open at home with out damageing the case ,a tool i can maybe make or own allready, i callled the dealer they want like 500 bucks to split it and that with me takein it out of the frame and takein the jug and everythting apart that B/S in my book ,oh did i mention the shaft is hollow all the way through ,if i can get it apart im and goin to rosette weld the thing back together with a slug inside it and tig it with high psi rod (rollgage rod) it broke at the idler gears bearing so i have some leway there with distortion where the tig weld will be,(itll be a flat bead if not concaved a bit),i dont know how this shaft broke still pondering it ,we went out to the trail and got stuck like a mother every 5 feet it was not a good day lol ,i think i may have hit it reverse while goin forwards but it was barely moveing ,my foot slipped and hit it in reverse when i got stuck and and was rockin to get a bite.

any help or ideas would be great thanks guys -corey- oh p/s if i cant fix it imma sellin it for 500 thats what i have in her what you guys think of that price?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I am guessing it is a 250 Mojave. The price you got is pretty much in the ball park. These cases nearly always crack if the mechanic is not taking enough time to heat the union enough to fracture the sealant, or if someone has used a different sealant than they came with all bets are off and it may not come apart. Then if any of the shafts are hanging in the bearings from wear or rust they are a bear to get them to slide out. It will require close to three hours to worry one apart after all the external components are removed. A new case alone is just under $500, so most shops quote a new case and then beat the old one apart and if it works OK, and if not you are sent home with the new one and a $500 bill.

I would guess the shop quote for complete shaft replacement with them doing all the work was not over $700, and with what is involved would be quite fair as they may well end up eating a $500 case too.

Also, welding the $100 transmission shaft will result in crystallization of the steel alloy unless it is done in a furnace and then cyanide quenched or nitride fluxed to surface harden the shaft so it does not disintegrate on the splined surfaces. The cost of cranking up a furnace to the temperature needed and then holding it for a long enough time for that sort of job is around $230, the chemical treatment is expensive too, so not really worth it. That shaft is also balanced, and turns enough RPM to trash a bearing pretty easily if allowed to get out of balance.

If I were you I would tackle the case splitting myself. It takes a high speed sander to clean off the center seam so there is no cement spill over to lock the surface of the case, a dead blow hammer, a heat gun to get it to around 485 degrees F to fracture the cement, and lots of time to keep an eye on shafts and bearings. Do not heat it any hotter than that, and be absolutely certain that the side covers are off and the oil fully drained. Do not clean it out with any gasoline or diesel, just drain it for a couple days so it is reasonably free of oil.

The center bond gasket adhesive will release at around 430 degrees F, and then it gets brittle enough that the case should crack apart quite easily. You do not have to keep it hot to pop it apart, just let it cool down and work slowly to break the sealant loose.

The key is to go slow and triple check every step of the way.

As for selling a bike with a broken output shaft, I get them for free from customers all the time, as do most shops, so do not see much of a market if the unit is more than a few years old. There is just too much expense involved for the repairs on a machine that may not sell for more than $600 to $1,000 retail.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so a little heat and and a dead blow tapping it around the seam will crack it open,i will atempt it and just order the 124.00 shaft, do you think itll hurt the crank bearing in any way just splittin the case,that dern fly wheel is a pain to pop off ,this will be fun more money to spend on a quad that will hardly get rode any more ,cause all my freinds are gettin rid of there quads and gettin the sport bikes,oh well it has to be fixed right so i can sell it and the new owner well have no issues for a while ,thanks rcw -corey-

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Take a good look at the parts diagrams, the crank bearings should not be hurt if you are careful. The biggest problem is that the shafts all wear a bit right where they run through the center bearing races, and that creates just enough of a ridge that they sometimes have to be worried off the center race.

Avoid any real force, just work with it, and it will go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts