Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off the post might get rather long. An this thread will for sure. This pertains to all forum members that my be interested. This get together idea , started in a thread in the cruiser forum an is starting to grow. So I decided to start a thread about it. First off I'm Woodchuck an a few of you know me already so lets get started. Theres a few members within a five state area(so far) that have an interest in hooking up in Red lodge MT. (Home of your forum host Beartooth kawasaki) fo a couple of days an ride the area an maybe visit yellowstone park,an or Cody WY. along with other destinations. The time of year so far is between the middle of July to mid Aug. Don't have a time yet we'll work on that from here on. So far it's up to about 8 to 10 rider's thinking about it. Farthest away so far is Ispeed in Massachusetts.We have to figure out a time an plan ,along with the amount of riders expected. After living up here for almost 10 yrs. an being pretty familar with the surrounding area I can answer most of the questions any of you may have. I figure since its the first of Febuary we've got about 6 to 7 months so we will have to come up with a plan. The time of yr. will be more up to the other members since this is basicly in my back yard(lucky me :grin:)an I can plan around it pretty easy. But I will give my opinion anyway. Junes out ,its usually the rainy season up here (average 21 days in june). You can pretty much count on summer to start July !st. The bussiest time of yr. is the last of july to mid Aug . Two reasons; one the park ,the most people visit between mid July to mid Aug. roads tend to be busy an alot of stop an go traffic in the park. 2 sturgis; traffic gets busy around here on the first of Aug. because usualy the 2nd week in Aug.is the start of sturgis wk. (getting so big that there thinking about making it a 2 week event possibily this year) last yr. close to 700,000 people. Alot of the riders make yellowstone an the surrounding area a vacation destination. that puts alot of bikes in the area plus all the tourist an rv's. My recommendation is around the 15th to the 20th of july, traffic wise not that bad yet, plus motel /camp sites still available. (except in the park those are booked a yr. in advance). I mentioned Red Lodge as a meeting point, then ride over beartooth an go wherever, Cody is a nice stop (Buffalo Bill musuem) how many days you want to be in the area is also up to you guy's. Well thats just my recommendation but I'm easy after all this is my back yard. So now to the questions ,especially a time frame so everyone can plan accordingly. I'm guessing around 2 or 3 days. This is one of the most beautiful places in Montana along with Wyoming. Don't miss it. It would be great to meet a few of the forum members in person.Along with stopping by beartooth kawasaki an visiting. (we'll drink all there coffee an eat all there donuts) an steal a few hats.(LOL) So lets get a count right off of who might be interested , along with nightly accommedations an location idea's. Woodchuck ,I'll be there thats one!
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
Good job wood!!!

Since I have never been in "your neck of the woods" it helps to read about the area. I think this is what others would want to know and you have helped explain this for us. I am going to bring my camping gear since I'll probably be riding to other locations and I tend to go wherever the whim takes me....so when it's time for sleep it's easy to just pop the tent up and crawl in.

It sounds like we need to hear from those who are traveling further distances to know when we need to ask for time off from work. I think I can manage having whatever time others can be there....so I'll be reading this thread with intrest.

This sounds like it will be an enjoyable time for any and all who will be able to attend. I'm bringing my digital camera so we can get lots of pictures to share here afterward. Drinking all of the coffee and eating all of the donuts should help us rev those engines up when riding. :) Like a bunch of kids on a sugar high! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a real nice forest service or (state campground) right at the base of beartooth pass for the most part its blacktop.The family an I have camped there a few times over the yrs. Tend's to get a little busy on the weekends due to the weekend campers from Billings. If anyone wants to camp there I could always reserve a couple of spots, When we know some times.This camp area is about 10 mis. south of Red Lodge an BTK is halfway in between.
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
I'm three! Allowing for all things including work, I am planning on making the trek too! Although not as far as Ispeed's trip, I have a days ride just to get to Whisltes place before another day or day and a half to woods's
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
There is a real nice forest service or (state campground) right at the base of beartooth pass for the most part its blacktop.The family an I have camped there a few times over the yrs. Tend's to get a little busy on the weekends due to the weekend campers from Billings. If anyone wants to camp there I could always reserve a couple of spots, When we know some times.This camp area is about 10 mis. south of Red Lodge an BTK is halfway in between.

That sounds good to me! Let me know what you'll need and when you need it and I'll get it to you. I really enjoyed camping last summer along the way. :)

Thanks woody for all of your help!
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
spok said:
I'm three! Allowing for all things including work, I am planning on making the trek too! Although not as far as Ispeed's trip, I have a days ride just to get to Whisltes place before another day or day and a half to woods's

spok....you'll be ready for a meal...a shower...and some sleep by the time you get over here. :)

Unless you have another route picked out while heading over to woods place....we can take highway 12 heading toward Lolo pass. It's an awesome and beautiful ride through there. :)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/lewisclark/lcic/grasslands/lolo_hwy12.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spok, it's about 7 hrs. of riding time to Bozeman from Whistles about 3 1/2 from Missoula , an then 2 1/2 over to Red Lodge I'll let you guys figure out if you want to have an over night at my place,or we hook up an go straight through to RL. It will also depend on how much Superslab riding you want to do. If you decide to stop here first I'll probably meet you guys in Butte an bring you the back way, difinitely some good riding comeing the back way from Butte. From my place its about a 100 miles on the interstate to Columbus an then south through Absarokee to RL.(about an hr)plenty of twisties this way.Plus alot less traffic than going to Laural an south to RL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other note .Most of the laundry mats around these resort towns have shower facilities that you pay a couple of bucks an stop an take a shower,an move on .I also know a couple of rafting guides that live around RL. they do day trips on the Yellowstone So anything I don't know about the area I can have an answer in a couple of hrs.
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
Woody, you ever consider a side job in the world of weekend biker trip tour guide or travel agent, you've got it all under control my friend!
 

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
Joined
·
25,224 Posts
Hey Woodchucks,
How far are you from Spokane? I am trying to get an idea of how long it would take me to get there. It would take me about 5-6 hours to get to Spokane from here.
But it sounds really interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trikebubble said:
Hey Woodchucks,
How far are you from Spokane? I am trying to get an idea of how long it would take me to get there. It would take me about 5-6 hours to get to Spokane from here.
But it sounds really interesting.
Trike, its 5 1/2 to 6 hrs. riding time to Bozeman on I-90. another 2 1/2 to Red Lodge. You outta try to make it. It'll be fun. Someone stills needs to come up with a time frame though.
 

·
I miss you, Deron
Joined
·
19,783 Posts
I'm in! We're about 8-10 hours away, depending on the route we take. We'd probably make it a two-day ride there and a two-day ride back so we can take our time and enjoy the scenery.

The only week we *can't* do it is July 16-24. We're going to Minnesota that week for a get-together with some friends from another forum. That date's been set for a year already, so I can't do anything to change it (we have people coming from overseas who need to plan a long time in advance). We can come any other time. The first half of July sounds good to me--before the roads get too busy and before it gets too hot. But if other people can only make it during July 16-24, we'll sure understand. We need to pick the date that works best for everyone.

Assuming then, that the date works and we can participate, once you guys decide on a date, would you be able to recommend motels in the Red Lodge area, Woody? We *could* camp out, but I think we'd rather have a nice bed after a couple days of riding. :) Yeah, I'm a wimp. I don't care so much about running water and toliets, but with my fibromyalgia, I need some comfort after a long day on the saddle. :)

I really hope it works out so we can go. I'd really love to meet you folks, and a ride to Montana sounds absolutely fabulous. Even if I *do* have to ride with a guy on a Yamaha. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jukief said:
I'm in! We're about 8-10 hours away, depending on the route we take. We'd probably make it a two-day ride there and a two-day ride back so we can take our time and enjoy the scenery.

The only week we *can't* do it is July 16-24. We're going to Minnesota that week for a get-together with some friends from another forum. That date's been set for a year already, so I can't do anything to change it (we have people coming from overseas who need to plan a long time in advance). We can come any other time. The first half of July sounds good to me--before the roads get too busy and before it gets too hot. But if other people can only make it during July 16-24, we'll sure understand. We need to pick the date that works best for everyone.

Assuming then, that the date works and we can participate, once you guys decide on a date, would you be able to recommend motels in the Red Lodge area, Woody? We *could* camp out, but I think we'd rather have a nice bed after a couple days of riding. :) Yeah, I'm a wimp. I don't care so much about running water and toliets, but with my fibromyalgia, I need some comfort after a long day on the saddle. :)

I really hope it works out so we can go. I'd really love to meet you folks, and a ride to Montana sounds absolutely fabulous. Even if I *do* have to ride with a guy on a Yamaha. :)
I'll be making a trip over in a couple of months an check out everthing that gets brought up here,an do some scouting around for what ever folks may need. I"ll get you a room with out to many fleas Julie <BG> An if a few want to camp I'll pick a couple good one's to reserve. I'll even get one of the raft guides to scrounch up some fire wood for the bond fire.
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
trikebubble said:
Hey Woodchucks,
How far are you from Spokane? I am trying to get an idea of how long it would take me to get there. It would take me about 5-6 hours to get to Spokane from here.
But it sounds really interesting.

Trike....Spokane from me is about 90 miles North. As Woody said...you could take I-90 and get some faster driving time since the speed limit I think is 65 or 70 mph. Now....if you want to take a more scenic route and go a little slower...your more than welcome to come stay at our place as spok will....so you could get a shower....some food....and sleep if it works out that way schedule wise for you. I've already talked to the Mrs and she is fine with people staying over.....so your welcome here if that can work for you.
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
Trike, its 5 1/2 to 6 hrs. riding time to Bozeman on I-90. another 2 1/2 to Red Lodge. You outta try to make it. It'll be fun. Someone stills needs to come up with a time frame though.
How about the rest of our lives? :)
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
Dang, this is coming to a head and getting serious...thats all good! The more the merrier and maybe even become an anual event.
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
jukief said:
The only week we *can't* do it is July 16-24. We're going to Minnesota that week for a get-together with some friends from another forum.
...ahem...ANOTHER FORUM? :confused: I feel so cheated on.... :lol:
 

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
Joined
·
25,224 Posts
whistle clean said:
Trike....Spokane from me is about 90 miles North. As Woody said...you could take I-90 and get some faster driving time since the speed limit I think is 65 or 70 mph. Now....if you want to take a more scenic route and go a little slower...your more than welcome to come stay at our place as spok will....so you could get a shower....some food....and sleep if it works out that way schedule wise for you. I've already talked to the Mrs and she is fine with people staying over.....so your welcome here if that can work for you.

I hope I can make this work. I am starting to look forward to it already. I was just talkin' to my business partner who says we are actually closer to Spokane than I figured. I have never been to that part of the world yet.
I like shower, food, and sleep. (or is it flowers, zoo's, and sheep? I can't remember)
 

·
I miss you, Deron
Joined
·
19,783 Posts
spok said:
...ahem...ANOTHER FORUM? :confused: I feel so cheated on.... :lol:
It's not a motorcycle forum, don't worry. LOL Although a few people on the board *do* ride. In fact, they're the people who are responsible for my getting the riding bug again after 20 years.

I'm all for an annual event. Just think how much fun that would be. Maybe move it around the country so we can visit a different place each time...
 
1 - 20 of 296 Posts
Top