Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the horsepower produced by Kaw's carbureted 1500 V-twin? The torque is posted everywhere you read about the V-twin cruisers, but no one mentions the horsepower output. I know many people complain the HP is underrated for the engine size, but Kaw built a great engine and they should release all the specs about it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's probably not a selling point and better avoided. It's probably some silly little number no one wants to speak about.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A 1999 Vulcan 1500 with carbs puts out 64 hp, the same as the 2000 with fuel injection. www.bikez.com is a good source for this type of info. 8)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Yeah, I found on www.bikez.com the HP for my 99 nomad is 64 @ 4700.

I know adding superchargers to the kaw V-twin is a popular mod, has anyone in this forum added a supercharger and if so what were the performance improvements you gained. I already have the V&H Dual Baggers and a K&N air filter which is making my scoot pretty quick, now I just want to see about adding a little more.... :twisted:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

these are the dyno #'s for a 2000 model:

Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 FI (00) model: measured (rear wheel) HP 55.0 @ 5000rpm & 73.3 Lb Ft of Torque
1/4 mi.test 14.07 [email protected] mph
Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (99 carbed ): measured HP 51.0 @ 4500 rpm 1/4 mi. test 15.33 @85.8 mph

there really isn't alot of hp to unleash in these motors-i don't think there is any s/c bikes here
yet.you might consider doing away with the stock intake and going with a hypercharger or
thunder air kit (thunder flows better imo) and there are some other perfromance modsbut
they won't gain many ponies :wink:

without some head work ponies are hard to find

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just remember these numbers are from the crank and not the wheel.
At the wheel you're looking at around 54 HP or so for an FI bike. So deduct about 3 or 4 HP from that for the carb models.
When I dyno'ed my bike baseline stock was around 54 HP. After the Thunder air kit, tfi, and pipes I'm around 69 hp. For big HP numbers look at getting the heads flowed (around 10 more horses with bigger valves and some flow work) and for big numbers put the 95" kit in with the head work for around 100 HP at the wheel. I've seen and rode a couple of the 1500s withthe 95" kits and the head work. All I can say is "WOW!" :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pro Hypercharger

Have a 99 1500 Nomad I have put the pro hypercharger on and had it jetted, along with the Vance and Hinds pipes. I just ordered a intake ( Thunder Mfg.)manifold that is supposed to increase HP 3 to 4 on a basic engine. If you would like to see the dyno before and after email me and I will email it to you. I was impressed with the performance for the money invested and yes I would do it again.( [email protected] )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts