Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Made it to first gear
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of adding a light bar up front on my 900 classic. I went to my dealer and was looking at the factory add on, but really don't want to spend $389.00 + tax for it. Does anyone have any advice for aftermarket, or pros and cons on factory lights?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
All the light bars were way over $200. Out of my budget for sure. I opted for some driving lights (about $25 with relay and wire) from Autozone. I mounted them forward of the floorboards.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I have the kawi factory light bar for the 2009 Custom and really like it, but if you search for the threads, there are a lot of guys here that have mounted low cost driving lights on their highway bars and on custom brackets with great results.

·
MadMac
246 Posts
I got the Custom World light bar for mine and love it. Part #CU02024 at meancycles.com for $249.95. You can check out pics of it on a 900 at the link in my sig line
I am interested to know what you thought about the installation? Did you find it relatively easy to install? It looks really good from what I can see from your pictures. I have a twin to your 900LT and the looks are pretty much what I am looking for. Also, have you had any problems since you installed the lights? Any information or suggestions that you can tell me about the installation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I am interested to know what you thought about the installation? Did you find it relatively easy to install? It looks really good from what I can see from your pictures. I have a twin to your 900LT and the looks are pretty much what I am looking for. Also, have you had any problems since you installed the lights? Any information or suggestions that you can tell me about the installation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Installation was a snap! Uses existing bolts to mount - no drilling. I liked how they used the existing bar to mount (they are actually two separate lights) so I didn't have to move the turn signals or reroute wires.

Wiring was uncomplicated but you'll have to decide how you want to do it. You can search the forum and find a number of different ways to do it. To control the lights on mine, I used a switch I mounted on the plastichrome cover around the speedo and wired to the hot wire in the headlight casing. The rocker switch I got has a very bright red LED against a black rocker so it's easy to see when it's on, even in the daylight. I wanted the option of having it on with brights or dims and didn't feel like messin' with a relay.

The only problem I've had is some burnt out bulbs - they were going quick (about 6 months). But that issue seems to have gone away. I haven't changed one out in quite a while. I always keep one in my fork bag anyway so it's no big deal.

I think they look great and I've been very happy with them. They make a huge difference on the road!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Differnet types of windshields present problems if I remember correctly. Some light bars wont fit with the Memphis windshields some dont like the way the factory windshields mount up. I cant remember which is what though. I seem to remeber something about the Cobra not working with the Memphis whindshields.
Eveything I have added extra like driving lights, horn that kind of stuff I have run through a realy. Just dont have to run as much heavy gauge wire.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Differnet types of windshields present problems if I remember correctly. Some light bars wont fit with the Memphis windshields some dont like the way the factory windshields mount up. I cant remember which is what though. I seem to remeber something about the Cobra not working with the Memphis whindshields.
Eveything I have added extra like driving lights, horn that kind of stuff I have run through a realy. Just dont have to run as much heavy gauge wire.

·
Brentwood, TN
17 Posts
Just put a Cobra Light Bar on my 900 LT which of course has the factory windshield. Connected it to the Accessory circuit in the headlight which has a 10 amp fuse as I did not want it on the headlight circuit. Did not realize the circuit is hot even when switch is off so just went back and added a relay off the turn signal wire. The Cobra light bar comes with its own on/off switch on the bar but I did not want to have to remember to turn it off every time I stop. Was putting off getting the light due to cost but Proggressive Ins. sent out a 25% off coupon for Christmas which got it down around $200. Also picked up a new full face helment with the coupon so did pretty well with it.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Your very nice looking switch may have a relatively short life if you do not use a relay to turn the driving lights off and on.

Lets say the driving lights are 35 Watts each, so now that's 70 Watts being switched off and on.Using the old electrical formula of W/E or 70 Watts over 12 volts you get 5.833333 or lets say 6 AMPS.

Going up in Wattage to 50 Watts, you get 100/12 or 8.3333 or 9 AMPS, most small switches like the one shown will have a shortened life turning off and on this type of electrical load.

Just a thought........

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Your very nice looking switch may have a relatively short life if you do not use a relay to turn the driving lights off and on.

Lets say the driving lights are 35 Watts each, so now that's 70 Watts being switched off and on.Using the old electrical formula of W/E or 70 Watts over 12 volts you get 5.833333 or lets say 6 AMPS.

Going up in Wattage to 50 Watts, you get 100/12 or 8.3333 or 9 AMPS, most small switches like the one shown will have a shortened life turning off and on this type of electrical load.

Just a thought........

Good info!

The switch is coming up on 3 years on the bike - I'll let ya know how long it lasts.

Thanks, Mike!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Man I knew I remembered something about the switches. Wheres Rich when you need him to kick start your memory. lol
Hey Carters, send progressive a copy of your recipt for your skid lid, maybe they will send you another coupon. lol

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Heavy duty switches are available at most autoparts places.
Heck I have a switch i put in my pickup thats rated for 60 amps.

So getting say 10 or 15 amp switches are common.
After about 20 amps they become a little less common is all.

Here is one thats even o ring sealed, so its good for water and dust etc.
Its rated for 21 amps at 14 volts.

I have used this guy before, he sells great stuff.

12voltguy.com - D.P.D.T. ON/OFF/ON O-RING SEALED TOGGLE

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put a Fire and Steel billit lightbar on my 04 Nomad 1500. The wiring was just plug and play inside the headlight housing with the on/off switch factory mounted on the bar. Not sure if they offer it for yours but I really like it.

·
VN900
208 Posts
I went with the PIAA crash bar extreme white lights and love them! They weren't cheap ($300), I got them online from a place in Texas. PIAA makes premo quality stuff and after I put them on I even swapped out the headlight bulb with a PIAA extreme white as well. I mounted the on/off switch directly under the light/turn flasher switch with the double sided strip that they supplied and tie-wrapped the cable to the existing lighting cable so it looks like it was a factory installed. After paying so much for my Mustang seat (well worth it!) I figured that 1/2 that for lights and safety was well worth it.

Attachments

·
MadMac
246 Posts
Thanks for the information and the pictures. It is a really good looking installation with the lights and switch. I appreciate your time to go into more detail on that project.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check out the Cobra light bar on page 7 of the kawasaki 900 classic listings on e-bay. They are showing it for $ 215.00 with free shipping. I have the same light bar, and like it very much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.