Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up my new VN1600 Classic yesterday from the shop :D and now is the time to modify the bike the way I like it. I would not mind getting a bit more power, but I'm not so sure if I want to change the pipes. In my previous bike (-97 VN1500 Classic) I had V&H Classics and they sure sounded very good, but maybe a bit too loud to my current taste.

Has anyone tried changing just the air intake and added Power Commander or similar fuel & ignition adjuster? Does that give any significant power or torque incease, or would I just be wasting my money? Or does this whole idea sound so weird that I shuld forget it and just buy the V&H pipes and not worry about the noise.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You'd be wasting your time and money...If you bring more air in, you must allow for more air out.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you thought the classics were too loud you should check out the longshots. I ran into a Vulcan rider (not literally) that had the V & H Longshots installed and was impressed with the sound. Definately NOT too loud, (quieter then the straightshots) but just a nice throaty growl without the obnoxious bark. I was considering going with Hardkrome but have since reconsidered and will be placing my order for the longshots in the next couple of days. I believe they also make them for the 1600. Mine is the classic 1500.

·
Registered
837 Posts
all vance & hinze pipes have thier own sound that seperates them from the others...i like em..i thank they sound better than the cobras and others but thats my own opnion 8)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I see that V & H has a new quiet baffle that will tone down the decibals on stock straightshots, bigshots, and longshots. Has anyone installed these baffles and if so do you like them?
http://www.cyclespot.com/baffles.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently replaced my stock exhuast (04-1600 classic) with Vance & Hines big shots, I LOVE them, they are as loud as I want them to be and have very nice throaty sould at idle. I too was worried that they'd be too loud, the harder you twist the louder they get, the best thing is at cruising speed they have a nice low rumble, not at all distribing to the passenger or public. I installed them myself in no time, an extra pair of hands would've been nice though.
I also worried that I would not like the look because I liked the stock pipes but they look great and I'm very happy with them all the way around.
I would also recommend a mustang seat if you plan to ride more than an hour at a time.
I got a great on both of these items from discountcycle.com, saved over $100 on each

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'd love to see some pics of your bike, ussnewco. If you got a digital camera, and get a minute, please post some pics in the "Show off your ride" forum. :) You have some mods I'd really like to see on that bike.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

pipes are generally the biggest bang for the buck :wink:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
baffles

dickwol
this isn't a kawi feedback but still suits your question. my buddy rides a VTX with V&H pips, don't remember if they are long shots or straight shots. without the quiet baffles they were obnoxiously loud. with the quiet baffles they are better, but still pretty loud. the thing i have noticed with V&H, including my dual baggers, is the baffles are long. this translates to a decent sound level when not on the gas too hard. once the throttle is turned however, it is like having 1 1/2" straight pipes, as the exhaust gases just shoot right past the baffles. this makes them very tolerable for most cruising but still have quite a bark when hard on the twist.

·
Registered
710 Posts
thks Ispeed77.
I've read just about every post on exhausts on this forum and others and am still undecided as to which pipes to buy. I thought the longshots sounded ok at idle and at a slow speed as the rider was pulling away from me but beyond that crusing speed sound levels may be painful. The report on the quiet baffles tones down the loudness by about 6db's Some of the independent reviews of these baffles say that they really don't make much of a difference. I also saw a review out there that did measure loudness across different manufacturers but the study was done in 1997!! I to have a friend with a VTX and he has the V&H bigshots with stock baffles and they definately are way too loud for me. When we ride together and I'm behind I really have to keep quite a distance between us in order to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
generally speaking, what's the power difference with or without baffles? Don't the baffles restrict the flow? I would assume they rob some power as well, and that remapping might be necessary, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi kawarider

Welcome to the Forum. In my opinion Kawasaki has the OE Performance Setup pretty well nailed. I've found on my 04 Nomad FI that any changes to the intake(even just adding a K&N AirFilter) or aftermarket exhaust will lean the fuel mixture.

I recently installed the Cobra Slash Cuts. The lean mixture is more apparent on the intake side compared to the exhaust. You'll be needing some brand of Digital Fuel Processor to solve that problem. I'll have my Power Commander on 10/5. I've read comments from other riders on crusiercustomizing.com that have added
just the PCIII to their stock bike and found a definate improvement in the bikes power curve. Doesn't mean more ponies just some better overall performance.

Good Luck with the New Ride

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You may want to consider visiting http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ to hook up with people in your area, with your bike and the pipes you are considering.

I recently set out to replace my stock pipes. After doing a TON of research, I narrowed it down to V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe and the HK Big Straights. But I wanted to know how they sounded since I was concerned about too many decibels.

Well, using the cruisercustomizing site, I was able to find people in my immediate area that had my bike type, and the pipes I was considering, and was able to visit these folks and hear how they sounded. I'm glad I did. I now have the V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe on the Vulcan and couldn't be happier. This Kawasaki community is awesome, and I appreciate the time poeple put in to help others out.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Excellent suggestion Ken!
Indeed there are a few Vulcan owners in my area so asking them some questions or actually being able to hear might be the way to go. I just can't believe that given the tremendous increase in riders out there and interest in aftermarket exhausts that there is not one recent objective review of exhausts from say the largest 5 manufacturers that would include decibel levels for various model exhausts. Reading the various impresssions that forum members have about their new purchases makes for fun reading but these are very subjective reviews. As we all know one man's medicine is another man's poison, and for some, louder equates to better. I would love to read some current, objective reviews based on empirical data by some impartial testing facility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ken said:
You may want to consider visiting http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ to hook up with people in your area, with your bike and the pipes you are considering.
Thanks Ken for a very good suggestion. With a quick search at crisercustomising I did find at least one VN 1600 within one hour ride with pipes that I have been considering (V&H Big Shots with quiet baffles). I think I will try to get in contact with him.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
power

dickwol
as far as power goes, i put on a kuryalyn intake, V&H pipes and then the power commander. i have yet to have the bike dyno tuned to really take advantage of the PCM but there is a noticable difference over stock. really it all depends on what you want out of your bike. i am a power junkie but i like to ride, so i started with a touring bike and i am now trying to catch up to the muscle bikes, go figure !!!

ithinktherefore
baffles affect different bikes in different ways. depending on the size pipes you have, the engine may want some type of baffle to add some backpressure. but that also depends on where you want your power. removing baffles tends to give you a lag in the low end but a lot of times opens up the top end. by using a small baffle a lot of times you take advantage of both of these. hope that helps you even just a little, after all i am no mechanic, just giving you what i have heard and experienced.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I should be picking 1600 Classic up tomorrow or the next day. The shop is putting on a Thunder Mfg Tornado Air Kit, Coasters and removing the Reed Valve trac and adding a Cobra Fi2000 TriPot fuel processor. I'll be putting Cobra Speedster Shorts on later on this month if they don't get back ordered again but until then, it'll just be the air kit and fuel processor. Email me and I'll let you know what I think of it set up like that.

·
Registered
710 Posts
hey Ispeed77,
yeh, I can understand how you might be a power junkie. Back in my younger days I to enjoyed the power rush. That was a long time ago and came from a 3 cylinder, two stroke Kawi. I just started riding again a couple of years ago now take it a bit slower. I did try to order the V&H longshots with the billet tips today and was told that they were on backorder until Nov. 4 so I won't be able to enjoy them until next spring. Winter comes quickly to upstate New York but now I'll have something to do during those cold months. There was no problem ordering the rejet kit as they had plenty. I also ordered the V&H quiet baffles which were in stock. If I like them I'll leave them in, if not I can always reinsert the stock ones. I have some scratches (I won't go into how they got there) on my lower forks so the other thing that I will do once the riding season ends is take the forks off and have them refinished and reanodized. If anyone has any pointers on how to remove the forks, replace the seals and oil, I'm all ears!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Shop called and said the bike won't be ready until Wednesday. Will have to wait till then to give you a rpt on the power increase if any.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

omega are they gonna dyno the bike base line and after install :?:

i really would like to see the #'s :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts