Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 zx7r and I want to get more power out of it. My friend has a new gsxr 600 and he can beat me pretty easly grant it hes been riding longer than me and that makes a difference but I know I'm not that bad of a rider. Any suggestions on oosting my performance?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Easiest power upgrade would be nitrous. Short of that you can make more power by getting larger pistons and having engine work done.

Wiseco makes a 779cc piston for your bike. 1.5mm overbore

·
Registered
305 Posts
Easiest power upgrade would be nitrous. Short of that you can make more power by getting larger pistons and having engine work done.
Goodness...why not just buy a new bike. I would imagine an exhaust/reject or a sproket change would be the easiest power mods to start with.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
He's already got filters/Muzzy pipe and rejetted.

Sprockets are not going to give you more power - just changes the powerband.

What he could do is lighten the bike though and if you wanted better acceleration with the sacrifice of top end speed you could change the sprocket -1 tooth on the front.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll bet those two bikes are close enough in performance that the rider makes the difference.

If you already have upgraded your exhaust and airbox, and rejetted, and you've selected the sprockets for your interest (fast takeoff, probably), and you have reduced weight as much as possible, and you have sticky tires, then I think the best thing you can do is get some race training.

I think that the cost of nitrous or overboring could be better spent on a ZX-10R. But you still won't beat a skilled rider if you're only "not that bad of a rider."

Your friend doesn't beat you because of his years of riding, although that helps. He beats you because he's a better rider. So it's time for you to step up to the plate and become a better rider -- and that means getting quality training and track time.
Curt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't tried to race yet since I rejetted my bike I'm working on trying to fix the over heating problem I have. But his bike got stolen last night any ways so I'll have to wait till he gets a new one.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
airforce ninja said:
I haven't tried to race yet since I rejetted my bike I'm working on trying to fix the over heating problem I have. But his bike got stolen last night any ways so I'll have to wait till he gets a new one.
Just cause you couldn't beat him doesn't mean you should steal his ride!
:shock:

·
Registered
613 Posts
The easiest way is pipe and re-jet, but since you already have this done I would go with an ignition advancer and K&N air filter. You can go with an overbore, but that makes the cylinder walls really thin. There are plenty of aftermarket bits to lighten the bike, bodywork being the best.

Also changing your gearing ratio will help a lot if your looking for acceleration. I did a 520 conversion and went -1 on the front and +2 on the rear. It helped a lot. I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than -1 on the front sprocket and don't do this without going larger on the rear. You will have tons of issues with your chain hitting the chain guide. You will lose some top end, but I can still hit 155-160 with that sprocket setup.

If you have done all of this and still have the need for more speed, an L model 7R crank will drop right in. Because of the L model's longer stroke, you will need a thicker head gasket to accomodate this, but I have heard it changes the engine displacement to around 790cc's. If that isn't enough a B model 9R engine will drop right into the frame. There is a few things you need for the conversion, but all in all it's a pretty simple swap. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but whenever an engine pops up on ebay it seems like I never have the money. **** ebay!!!!

If you still need more ideas go to the 7R website in my siggy. Search the site and you will be amazed at what you find for the 7R. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts