Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some way to in-expensively get more top end power out of my 99 Nomad. I love the bike but it is way under powered for when I need a little more bump at 75 mph. I can only get about 90 mph top end and if I am riding into a head wind I get about 70-75 mph. What can I do to get some extra power, has anyone done any mods on their bikes to gain what I'm looking for? Is my bike normal for top end? This is my second Nomad, my first was a 2001 FI model and I didn't have this issue with it so I'm wondering if its just a carb model problem? Thanks for any ideas that come my way! Just wanted to add that I've had this bike for 3 years now and it has always run this way, also it does have a K&N filter on it already so that should help some!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would make sure the carb is jetted properly. It should have more power than what you describe. Other than that, there is no easy cheap route to more top end power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. What size jet would be recomended for me? Also have you heard of anyone turbo charging a Nomad, I have a small turbo off of a Subaru that will fit under the bike where the goat bladder used to be. I just have to find a way to get everything hooked up and figure out how to regulate the pressure relief!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is stock. I know the dangers of too much pressure in turbo motors and its not a pretty site when they go off! There is a guy I know real well that thinks he can pull it off and he has done some amazing feats with engines before....just not mine! I will try the tuning ideas you sent to me and see where that leads. By the way what kind of speed do you get top end? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It is stock. I know the dangers of too much pressure in turbo motors and its not a pretty site when they go off! There is a guy I know real well that thinks he can pull it off and he has done some amazing feats with engines before....just not mine! I will try the tuning ideas you sent to me and see where that leads. By the way what kind of speed do you get top end? Thanks for the help.
110......with a little left.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Try here: http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm and go to the "Bolt On Harder" section and look for the Coyote mod. It'll give you the jet sizes and pilot screw setting as well as part info. It's what I did to my carb'd 1500 Classic six years ago and it works great. As previously mentioned, it will be important to know if the carb is stock or has been fiddled with especially if the needle is stock. I'm not sure how you tell if an aftermarket needle has been installed other than if there's shims or e-clips on it. If there is, someone has been in the carb.

·
Custom 800
426 Posts
get a 800A no just kidding check the carb out like what was said earlier

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Whatever you do keep the stock needle.
The Nomad should cruise easily at 70-75mph in 4th gear. Hitting 100mph is no problem for these bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts