Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per my previous post I've had some weird stuff with my clutch. see
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5496

Another thing that happened was that I had the bike in neutral while it was off. Then i decided to put it in first, because I wanted to test whether it would roll again. Anyway, I had the clutch in and when I started the engine the bike jumped as if it was in first, even though I had the clutch in.

I have to mention that i live in NYC and it is cold right now, and I am wondering if the gears are stuck to the flywheel (?) or whatever makes the gears engage with the engine. As you can tell I don't really know that well how a clutch works with the gears, but I'm just thinking maybe there's some sticking going on because of the cold.

In addition the guy who sold me the bike mentioned that while the bike is in motion, and up to the point it is not at a complete stop, the bike refuses to get into neutral. I wasn't sure if that was normal. I thought that you could get a bike to neutral even if it was moving. All these problems are probably related, and I know nothing about the mechanics of a bike, but I am trying to teach myself now.

P.S. I removed the battery for the first time and now I'm charging/minding it. Hopefully that will help it start better on the cold days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont have a solution but i have a simalar problema nd it may relate to yours.

I find it very difficult to get into Neatral on purpose. Also when i go from a stop i find that i must rev it high to get going.

I recently started to notice that when i am stopped and try to go into 1st that it will go into what i think is first then pop up suddenly and not seem to go into gear.

IF i cant get into 1st it would explain the fact that i cant get into neatral, because going up is going into 3rd. Also would explain why i have to rev hard, because i am in 2ndand not 1st.

Try and see if you have any of the same problems and let me know.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The clutch plates can stick when the oil's cold. I don't think there's anything wrong with your bike. Start your bike in nuetral when it's cold out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Shifting Problems

Your getting nutz. You dont have a problem. Your clutch plates are sticking in the cold and the oil is getting like peanut butter in the crank case. It happens to clutch plates in a wet clutch setup all the time. start the bike in neutral and let the bike warm up. You would stick too if you sat outside all night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts