Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

sorry if this is a repost but i tried searching and couldn't find any information. i'm trying to figure out what a general average life a motor might be considering it had been maintained decently.

thanks,
michael

·
Registered
158 Posts
Had a 90 ZX750 that went through two owners before I sold it to another person. The motor has never been torn into and it had something like 37,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe im way off here...but ive been told that if taken care of properly, an engine can last a really really long time. Im throwing 20 yrs up in the air only because I know of some 20 yr old bikes still running fine...but im sure it can go higher then that.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Motorlife

If you keep the motor properly tuned and maintain the entire motorcycle you can find some real old ones still running. I have a 1970 bike that is still running, never been apart except to replace the rings. IF you buy a bike and take care of it it will last you a lifetime! The key is taking care of it.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Proper maintenance and not abusing it can make a bike last several decades.

Some consider having to rebuild part of an engine ( such as rings, actually normal service schedule ) as the signs of a finished bike. Oh sure as a bike gets up there in mileage the service will have to be a little more in depth ( and expensive ) but I personally know of two friends with Honda ST's who are Iron Butt riders that have over 200,000 miles and 250,000 miles on their bikes.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hondas

Yeah...IRON BUTTS! That's a whole bunch of miles, and lots of time riding, especially if they are up north and the riding season is so short compared to some of us that live much further south. Hondas, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's,,,,the list goes on even to european bikes, maintenance is the key, as well as not abusive habits...
Uncle Bob knows a lot, it's just hard to get him into discssions sometimes...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The bikes will last a long time as long as you properly maintain them. You can even ride them hard without abusing them, things like making sure the oil is hot enough and flowing before you starting pushing the bike. Not running the clutch too hard is important to its life too.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
AND

Brake Fade, front and or rear, tires that are already worn to some degree may not hold as well and slide some...Wear your best equipment, and do not overdo things.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
They have posts with writing on them in Canada? In english or French, or both? I have a 19" monitor, and wear glasses for reading...my near vision is going someplace...but so far it hasn't had any effect on my far vision. The wife has to use binoculars to see the things on the farm like at 250 yards. We had a covey of quail walking the tree line down by the creek, and she couldn't see them. She couldn't see the beaver in a downed tree at 50 yards only that there might be something there. . sure enough it was a beaver eating Mulberries. I think that a new 21" flat screen would fit just perfect on my computer desk and then I could give my college son this NEC 19" for his school work and games...I'm sure the 15" he is using is hampering his ailities...sure enough to justify a new 21" for me that is...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I was hopeing to get a family member to agree

Thanks Uncle Bob! Now I can tell the wife that in fact I have even talked with my Uncle and he said that it would be a "valid decision".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts