Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what the differences is between motorcycle oils and automobile oils. reason i ask is cuz i just barely got a 85 zx6 and i plan on an oil change before i park it for the winter (i havent been riding the bike either) and my neibor says hes using 10w30 motor oil in his bike as in not motorcycle oil and he says he has no problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i switch over my 90 ex500 to Mobile One 15W 50.. i person dont no if that was a good idea cuz after i did the valves are alot more noisey but ill probably stick wiht full synth jsut not mobile one... The only thing you have to watch out for is if it says ENERGY CONSERVING ( i belive) do not use this oil... like mobil one 10W30 has that rateing where as the 15W50 doesnt so thats what i used.. youll see it it says in on the back in the Circle where it lists all the specs it meets..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well like theres "motorcycle oil" and then theres "motor oil" personally ive always used penzoil in all my rigs and mobil one full synthentic in my summer car. i want to use just normal oil in the bike at first but before i do the oil change i want to know the diff so i can decide which one i wanna use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
http://www.mobil1.com/motorcycle/index.jsp heres a little thing from Mobil One that you can read.. but theres other brands out there like Amsoil and such just search but the biggest thing if you want to use jsut regular motor oil jsut make sure it doesnt say Engery Conserving then youll be fine.. but some people like using Motorcycle Oil but you dont have too..

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
This is a long-running argument. I've seen lots and lots of stuff about it. Some say it matters, some don't.

I personally run 5w-40 Rotella T full synthetic in my '01 500R.

Just be SURE to stay away from "energy conserving" oils. It'll say that on a circle on the bottle. Energy conserving oils can/will cause your clutch to slip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just be SURE to stay away from "energy conserving" oils. It'll say that on a circle on the bottle. Energy conserving oils can/will cause your clutch to slip.
thats what ive been trying to say!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i heard you 71_307 i just figured theres a difference in the oils but from what it seems there isnt so that answered my question just fine. thx for the info and i wont use energy conserving oils for my bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
this is jsut me but if your just gona be storing it i wouldnt use a ful synthetc.. jsut some plain jane oil... second if i had to do it again i wouldnt use a full synthetic in my bike cuz as soon as i did the vavles got all noisy where befor i changed it they where happy ( mind you i have felt no lose in power).. and in your case since you bike is older then mine sometime when you change over to a synthetic you risk of oil leaks so watch for that i was lucky that all my seals where still good.. jsut some things to keep in mind..

·
Registered
605 Posts
will switching back to regular motorcycle oil fix the leak problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i didnt plan on running full synthetic until i rebuild the motor, which wont be for a while i hope. and my ninja is an 85 so even if its not older then yours, seeing how a bunch of teens owned it before me, the valves and piston walls are bound to be all scratched and shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts