Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Motorcycle Tool Kits

6K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Ruger 
#1 ·
Anyone who has ridden for awhile gets around to finding and using there tool kits. All of the japanese bikes i have owned had some tool kit in them, usually the tools are of poor quality and could not be used on a daily basis but they come in handy for a quick chain adjustment or plug change or some other minor job.

My BMW tool kit is easily the best i have ever seen, high quality tools and specialty ones like a feeler gauge for both valve adjustments tire gauge and others all designed for years of use.

It seems a bit strange to me that BMW and all the japanese companys provide tool kits for usually very reliable bikes harleys on the other hand cost more have no tool kits and are most likely to need them.....Go figure?

There are a couple aftermarket companys that have put together a small tool kit for motorcycles and all the tools are of high quality. Putting together a good one on your own is easy to do and if any major repairs are needed you have that peace of mind you have a tool for the job.

#4 ·
Interesting observation. I looked at the tool kit that came with my 900 and, as you say, it wouldn't be good as an everyday working kit, you could do just about any minor (and some major) repairs on the bike.

Another company that gave (the last time I bought one was back in '73)you a very nice tool kit, was Moto Guzzi. It sounds a lot like your BMW kit. Had all types of special spanners and feeler gauges, etc. Very well made and chromed tools.

As to HD, you just didn't look hard enough. You have to order the tool kit special. The base kit is HD part # U-A-SUK-AH, but the only tool you get in that kit is a 3/8" allen wrench. You must purchace the Stage 1, Stage 2, or Stage 3 upgrade tool kit addons to get other tools. Prices do vary some but will be MSRP + shipping + dealer prep + a % multiplier based on the wait time because they are on back order (% goes up as time increases). Tool kits start at a base price of about $150. You do get a free pair of fingerless HD brand gloves with the purchase of the Stage 2 or above. :cool:

Don't get upset guys, it is just a joke.:biggrin:

#5 ·
As to HD, you just didn't look hard enough. You have to order the tool kit special. The base kit is HD part # U-A-SUK-AH, but the only tool you get in that kit is a 3/8" allen wrench. You must purchace the Stage 1, Stage 2, or Stage 3 upgrade tool kit addons to get other tools. Prices do vary some but will be MSRP + shipping + dealer prep + a % multiplier based on the wait time because they are on back order (% goes up as time increases). Tool kits start at a base price of about $150. You do get a free pair of fingerless HD brand gloves with the purchase of the Stage 2 or above. :cool:

Don't get upset guys, it is just a joke.:biggrin:
That ain't bashin'....that's just down-right funny!

#6 ·
Thats why they make those tag along trailers for all the tool chests and welders you never know when you might need that plasma cutter... Ha

Notice i said provide tool kits, meaning they come with the bike, not kits that can be purchased for an additional 150 bucks, I do believe you can buy additional tools from the other companys as well.

#12 ·
Cars used to come with tool kits too. Now all you get is a manual to tell you where all the blasted switches are and something that passes for a jack and a lug wrench.

#13 ·
....something that passes for a jack and a lug wrench.
Ain't that the truth!!

I put together my own set for the bikes, that I keep in the tank-bag. Nothing elaborate, but a small socket set, a handfull of common wrenches and allen keys, a multi-tool, a screwdriver with multiple bits, and a few other odds and ends. More (and better) than the factory sets, but not so much as to be combersome in the bag.

I had no choice but to put together a tool-kit. The Meanie was the first new bike I ever bought. When was the last time you picked up a 15 year-old bike that still had the original, factory kit!:tongue:

#14 ·
I just got a 32 y/o bike that still has the tool kit! First time that's happened. It's a 1975 Honda CB200. I got it for my wife to learn on. Only 1600 miles on the clock.

#15 ·
Has anyone seen those kits that Sears sells? They have them for $100 but they occasionally put them on sale for like $60. I should've picked one up when they were on sale back in late summer but I didn't. I can pull tools from the garage tool box but it seems much more convenient to have a pre-made kit from Craftsman. Any opinions on buying an MC tool kit even though I probably have every piece in the garage already?

#16 ·
At Red Lodge this last year, Moparman and I bent the heck out of those cheap factory tools adjusting the shock on his V2K. The tool worked, but it was just total junk after that use. The kit I have made since then has cost around 100.00, but they are quality tools instead of the diecast junk supplied with the bike. If you want quality ... you have got to pay for it.

#17 ·
Has anyone seen those kits that Sears sells? They have them for $100 but they occasionally put them on sale for like $60. I should've picked one up when they were on sale back in late summer but I didn't. I can pull tools from the garage tool box but it seems much more convenient to have a pre-made kit from Craftsman. Any opinions on buying an MC tool kit even though I probably have every piece in the garage already?
I say, if you already have the tools (especially if you have multiples) why pay for a set.

Over the years, I've accumulated TONS of tools. I think I can spare one of the six or seven 14mm box wrenches for a toolkit.:biggrin:

My kit was put together out of neccessity, and is constantly evolving. So buying something like the Sears kit, really doesn't work for me (though I do enjoy buying tools :biggrin: ). Even if the kit has a 12mm in it, why have it, if almost nothing on the bike is 12mm? Plus, those kits don't have the really usefull stuff like black RTV, spare tubing, zip-ties, elctrical tape, etc.. that roadside repairs usually require. Sure, my kit may resemble a bit of a "rat's nest", but short of a major engine overhaul, I can do enough to get the bike home. Or at least to the nearest shop.

Just my 2-cents.

#18 ·
How does one go about securing their tool kit from theft? Several here have had bikes stolen. Why wouldn't the tool kit get stolen? I carry the cheapies when they are no longer useful I toss them and put another in it's place.

#20 ·
I picked up one of those kits. Now I wish I hadn't. Mine has about 100 sockets (half English, half metric; numbers are for illustration only, I haven't actually counted) but only six combination wrenches (again, half English, half metric). :confused:

I'm now going to need to pick up a full set of wrenches (both English and metric), to fill in the gaps, but won't have a good place to put them. :mad: I would have preferred a much more balanced set of tools. O well. Live and learn. Maybe next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.