Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this is a stupid question but I would like a stupid answer being a number figure. I live in colorado and am about to take in my 77 suzuki gs750, how much can I expect to pay for the tune-up?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Tune-Up

Stuart, No such thing...stupid question. The answer isn't much better than the question in this situation...IT depends upon MANY factors, one would be how thorurough the shop is going to be. Changing plugs. lubing the chain, or actually going in adjusting the valves, actually going in adjusting the carbs Synchronizing them the adjusting chain, checking breaks, checking the steering head, forks, balancing the tires if they need it...replacing bearings, torqing loose bolts, checking for cracked or lose fuel lines, vacuum lines drain lines, battery water level...ALL in ALL it depends how good the dealer is and how detailed you want them to be. You should have a serious talk to them and discuss what you really want done and get a guess-timate. This way you KNOW what is supposed to be done and you can check to see that they in fact did do what they said that they were going to do. Sure things like a bad radiator cap is no big thing unless it is defective, but a crack in a cooler or a crack in a cooling line or a crack in a gas line...once they pull the fairing off it's time to get serious...while it is off...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, no such thing: no such thing as a stupid question, and no such thing as "a number figure" for a tune up. There's way too many variables. What do you include in the tune up? Just change the plugs? Or maybe also adjust the idle? Those aren't too bad, depending on what type of plugs you get. How about checking valve clearances? On my bike that's over $200 from the dealer, or $40 for the tools to do it yourself. How about syncing the carbs, lubricating and adjusting the chain, changing the oil, adjusting the throttle and clutch, air filter cleaning or replacement, and tons more?

And like ZX-2R said, once the mechanic starts looking, he may find other things that need attention, like hoses, brake pads, tires, maybe a worn clutch or brake master cylinder. There is no way for us to know what it might need, so we can't give you "a number figure."
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BEST CHOICE

The very best thing that you can do is take it in and then talk to the mechanic not the sales guys in their fancy white shirts and polished nails...tell them to do a thourough inspection and then you will have to do the major/important things first. If you can afford the complete inspection and all then get it done and have him call you withe the guess-timate. You definately want anything that needs to be done to be done...some things can wait, some cannot. tires, brakes, valve adjustments cannot, things like cracked lenses, scratched plates or patching a muffler or pipe you can do on your own till you have the money to get new ones. Spark plugs, you can clean overnight in white vinegar and they should work for a while longer, a cracked mirror canbe replaced later, or a bent peg, or even a bent bar or lever...even a headlihgt adjustment can wiat if you only drive in daylight hours. If you have a serious maechanic tha twill point out everything he will also probably tell what thigs you can do yourself...or get a list and we can lead you through part of it...and then let the mechanic do the rest. better safe than dumping or ruining the bike and having to learn an expensive lesson the hard way...besides that is what we are here for is to help...you may even have fellow FORUM Friends in or near your home town...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

THere is a Profile area that you should fill in...not only does it give us information about your interst and hobbies it helps us to relate to you in terms that you may better understand...and it helps to have friends to ride with or ask question with and meet up with...You may want to tell us your age too in your signature...that too can be helpful...although my 51 is only about 19-21 because I love to play and be silly and goofy...still my experiences with electrons, mainframes, R/C cars, airplanes, sailplanes, avionics, slotcars, amateur radio, motorcycles, Studebakers, Countries overseas, all helps sometimes...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright Guys,
That was very good of you to all give such detailed answers, I'll take it into a good mechanic I know of and ask him to do a complete inspection, etc then I'll take it from there, I'll also fill out the profile, thanks guys.

Stew

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Stuart

Good on the inspection, but inform the mechanic that you can only afford so much on the initial visit, but you want it to be a VERY complete inspection...VERY DETAILED. You can also tell him tha tyou want to be safe and have everything done only in a period of time an not be overwhelmed by the TOTAL BOTTOM LINE PRICE...Then jump on line and tell what things that need to be done and you should be able to get some asistance here...you should also get the Maintenance Manual for your bike...try to order it through Beartoth Kawasaki our sponsor...they are great and they wil give you a discount for being a Forum member.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Won't be able to get it in for the detailed inspection for awhile thanks to the holiday weekend and work but the good thing is my affinity for cars and my former job for jiffy lube really set me into the motorcycle work. I can do battery maintenance, almost all case oil changes, oil changes, brake adjustment and brake fluid, bleeding, etc. The other things I read about and can test out as I go, I'm pretty handy with things so it won't be too hard.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MAINTENANCE

Yep a sealed battery is the best. oil and filters is great if you can do them at home...I'm real big on using a torque wrench. I got real upset with the tire shop when they twisted off three of my lugs on my old IH truck then stripped one out on my chevy truck, So now I make them use a torque wrench. I'm also big on using the thread-lock by locktite...just the stuff from letting things vibrate loose...I don't do brakes...I leave that to the guys that I get a receipt from....something goes wrong and I'm not going to have to pay...YOU live in a great area for a motorcycle! 30 minutes/maybe 45 and you can be in the mountains or in Jackrabbit flats!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, Don't I know it, now I just need an old cruiser, the deal on the kawasaki fell threw (seller didn't have title, ****** up engine, no brake fluid, sat for 5 years without full tank and fuel stabilizer, etc.) I'm still looking for an old cruiser like a 80 kawasaki,honda, suzuki cruiser for around 1000 or less that runs well. Horribly slow progress though

Anyone in CO interested in selling their older bike e-mail me

Stew

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DARN

Stuart, call beartooth and see what they can do for you, seriously! They have used bikes and you are a forum member...the flight up stops in denver to Bilings, MT (gee, i've planed this trip so many times) Fronteer Airlines United airlines...Southwest...anyway look into it and you could make a deal over the phone and then go up and get one tha tthey have already serviced and is ready for the road...It's almost a straight shot home for you nd yo could use the fresh air and a road trip...Be free Forum Friend and Feel the Power of Freedom...Flyin gfrom CO to Billings and riding home... man, it's a good thing tha tyou have friends like us...to really help you...go for it the phone number is free, just pack a small daypack and buy the bungies when you get there! Tell Kawi, joey and the crew that we all said hi!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry, what is the number? And my aunt and uncle live in Billings so I could drive up with my lil bro we could go fishing then I could drive down on the bike and he could drive down in the car.

Thanks for the ideas.

I'll have my license within the week and I'll insure a bike quickly if I can get a bike that way I could drive it down.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol, I'm a moron, I've gotten so used to skipping the ads at the top all I did was look at the bike and not the number, that last post does not reflect my intellect :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Stuart

Stuart, my fellow Forum friend, I am not at all going to cast the first stone...I'd be so excited that yo might have to tell me half a dozen times, about not only the number but the name of the shop...Just try to get the Owners and Maintenance manuals...the Service manuals are a little more nad You prpbably don't want to get that deep into it. I'm happy and excited for you, both at the same time...if you really need the number or a street map...I can do that from home too...Just teasing...I know that you can too...PLease let us know what you find and what you are riding when you get it...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I've read 1,000 pages since I didn't have work today and yesterday. I can't stop looking until I find one. I'm still kicking myself for not having the money 3 days ago when I found an 80' kawasaki 650 in excellent condition (just needed the seat recovered). Being a poor college student sucks :(

Stew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts