Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to getting my first issue coming out in April. This mag looks like it is going to cover not only the bikes of the 60'-80's but the culture and the players of the time. This ought to rekindle the glory days.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Ahhhh yes, the 70's with my little RD-350. Glory days for sure.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I'm just thinking that the 80s were more like the boring days of motorcycling. Maybe it's just because of my age. I view early 70's at most and then back from there. Geez...I'm probably OLD. :(

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm just thinking that the 80s were more like the boring days of motorcycling. Maybe it's just because of my age. I view early 70's at most and then back from there. Geez...I'm probably OLD. :(
+1--- The 70s came to life if you had a scoot. My honda 360 was my only set of wheels for 6 yrs, 1974 to 1980. those were some days:smile:

D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nostalgia is great and the mind seems to forget the negative and remember the positive. The past is just the path we took to the present. I wouldn't trade my 07 model for any from that time period, unless it was a rare collectors model that I could sell for big $$$$$.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Nostalgia is great and the mind seems to forget the negative and remember the positive. The past is just the path we took to the present. I wouldn't trade my 07 model for any from that time period, unless it was a rare collectors model that I could sell for big $$$$$.
Oh come on ZeroPunch, you mean you wouldn't love to go back to riding with no shirt, no helmet, no fear, long hair blowen in the wind, never as many cars on the road days of the 60s and 70s? :biggrin:

Maybe it wasn't for everyone:-o

D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Oh come on ZeroPunch, you mean you wouldn't love to go back to riding with no shirt, no helmet, no fear, long hair blowen in the wind, never as many cars on the road days of the 60s and 70s? :biggrin:

Maybe it wasn't for everyone:-o

D
I could do that now Dave if my hair was a little longer and had plenty of SPF30 on but I'd still prefer to do it on the Vulcan.8)

·
Registered
533 Posts
the problem was that in the (very late) 60's and (early) 70's I was running Gasahol in my bikes...well, to be exact the gas was in the bikes....the alcohol went in me..:(

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hey guys, do you remember trying to shift, and stop the bike with platform shoes on?:lol: The heels would get stuck on the pegs. That's when I learned to use the front brake.

D

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Ahhhh yes, the 70's with my little RD-350. Glory days for sure.
Dudester
I can remember when I was a teenager and lived in Hayward, Calif. (1966) and worked during the summer months in Frisco'. I would commute on the Nimitz freeway, over the bay bridge, and try to keep up with traffic on my little Honda cb130 :eek: Man! when I think back about that time in my life, I wonder I'm still here 42 years later :lol: And you thought your 350 was little ;) LOL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You're not entirely wrong. There was a major crash in the motorcycle market in the U.S. about 1982 or 83. Lots of dealers went broke. The used market was terrible; you couldn't give away used bikes. Five years later, you could still buy brand new 82 or 83 bikes, still in the crate, that had been repossessed from bankrupt dealers. Under those circumstances, new bike development just died, to a large extent.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
But, in the mid 80s we saw the rise of the current sportbike, the use of twin spar frames, and the introduction of the mono-shock. And we saw the standards start to morph into todays cruisers. Although the 60s saw motorcycles become mainstream transportation and the 70s had more models available from more dealers in all sizes/cc's, the 80's were very important as far as advancing motorcycle technology to what it is today.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Gee when I got out of the service in 68 didn't get a bike. Got a Ford 428Torino Cobra. Wife was mad since I had traded in the Chevy Impala family car. Was kinda hard explaining the tickets after and the tires being replaced often. Out ran all the local cops and most of the staties. Yes those were the days. No fear, got 5 mpg. and gas was cheap. I think I paid $5,500 new off the show room floor for that. Would do the whole 60's over again in a heart beat. Good times and bad times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts