Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this new format is going to give me a siezure or something.....could it please go back to the old style ?

anyways, remember the nail painting lady in Illinois who struck a biker wearing a bright yellow jacket at the stop light, throwing her like 50 feet.....she was found guilty

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/distracted.driving.nail.2.1680019.html

The eight-woman, four-man jury deliberated for three-and-a-half hours before
finding Lora Hunt guilty of a reckless homicide charge that could send her to prison for up to five years.

Hunt, 48, of Morris, was charged after her car slammed into and killed motorcyclist Anita Zaffke on May 2, 2009, at an intersection near Lake Zurich.

"There are no winners today, there is no celebration or happiness," Greg Zaffke, the victim's son, said at the Lake County courthouse. "Two families will forever carry the hurt and anguish caused by one person's reckless actions behind the wheel."

Authorities contended Morris was too busy painting her fingernails to notice
that Zaffke had stopped ahead of her as a traffic signal changed at Route 12
and Old McHenry Road.

But Hunt testified she had stopped painting her nails as she approached the
traffic light.

Hunt, a nurse, insisted she was watching the light when she struck and killed Zaffke, whom she said she didn't see until after the crash.

Prosecutor Michael Mermel disputed Hunt's claims that she had stopped applying the nail polish before the crash, contending she didn't notice Zaffke stopping ahead of her because she was still working on her nails even as she reached the intersection.

"She was applying the polish even as she crashed," Mermel argued.

Her attorney acknowledged Hunt was "distracted" as she approached the
intersection, but argued she should be acquitted because she was not driving
recklessly when she struck Zaffke.

"This is an accident," defense attorney Jeff Tomczak told the jury in his closing argument. "This is a case of a distracted driver who didn't want to hurt anybody."

After the verdict, Tomczak said he hopes the judge will be lenient when his client is sentenced.

"I have not had a client in 25 years that has showed more remorse, more grief, more sympathy for the victim's family than Lora Hunt," he said. "She is being made an example of, and if you know her, that's kind of sad cause because this is truly a loving, caring, just a wonderful lady."

Zaffke's son continues to weear black nail polish on one hand as a symbol of his mother's death. He said that as a motorcycle rider himself he is hypervigilant about drivers who are texting or talking on cell phones while they should be watching the road.

"It is irritating, for sure," he said.

Hunt will remain free on bond until she is sentenced. No date for that sentencing has been set. She could get as much as five years in prison, or as little as probation.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
I might be a little on the extreme side, but I believe that doing anything other than driving while behind the wheel should be a killing offense. As far as I am concerned, reading the paper (pr a book), texting, painting nails, or shaving privates (it really happened) while operating a two ton peice of moving metal isn't just negligent, but downright malicious. That sort of behaviour can only have one result and that is the death of some innocent person. IMO that is equal to premeditated murder.

Way too many have "gotten away with it" and regardless of how nice this lady is, even 5 years isn't remotely close to fair punishment for the crime. I wish they would really make an example out of someone who did something like this and execute them......

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
As the article said, there are no winners & no celebration here. A terrible tragedy...BUT, as long as people keep getting by without consequence because AFTER THE FACT!!!, they are remorseful & sorry, & are great moms & pillers of the community, it'll keep on happening! Innocent people will keep getting killed & the greatest, nicest, most careing...............self-centered & thoughtless people in the world will keep being sorry, & nothing will change.

This doesn't work. To hold people accountable with very public & very harsh consequences is the only chance of detering these types of tragedies. JMO.

·
FL UTV Trail Rider
53 Posts
I don't consider somebody who willfully endangers others by not paying attention to operating a 2-ton machine to be a "truly a loving, caring, just a wonderful lady."

I'm sure she is very remorseful ... now that the damage is done.

I imagine this's about how the jury saw it, too.

How does someone think they can react to a situation when they're not even looking??

Now for some humor: Ricky Bobby, by all accounts an excellent driver, proved beyond a shadow of a doubt in Talladega Nights that you must be watching the road to drive successfully.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Setting precedents in court for cases like this has to start somewhere. It might as well start with Hunt. If the consequences for killing bikers with cars become well-known as being harsh and without sympathy, people will make a point to start paying attention when behind the wheels of their two ton death machines.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hunt, 48, of Morris, was charged after her car slammed into and killed motorcyclist Anita Zaffke on May 2, 2009, at an intersection near Lake Zurich.
I find it interesting how they put this. Her car slammed into Anita. Like she had nothing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
"The eight-woman, four-man jury deliberated for three-and-a-half hours before ...."

Howcome three and a half hours? three and half minutes shouldve been plenty!

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
Forget about trying to change your laws or peoples attitudes, people only change when it happens to them, and laws only change when it suits the law makers.

It's the cocoon effect, people feel safe and at home in their cars, they feel they have the right to do anything in there without any thought to the consequences. How many people do you see picking their noses in plain sight as if they are invisible!

Remove the airbags from all cars and put a six inch spike sticking out of the middle of the steering wheel and see how many car accidents there are.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
she was painting her nails while driving...that in itself should be an offense! people just dont realize how dangerous it is driving a 3-4000 lb vehicle. or they just dont care. take your pick! people need to be aware of the consequences of negligent behavior. she was negligent, shes being punished (not harsh enough IMO), and she should man up and take the punishment.

these types of things get me so angry...

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
Remove the airbags from all cars and put a six inch spike sticking out of the middle of the steering wheel and see how many car accidents there are.
I love it! I have always wanted to remove the warning labels from everything!

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
I find it interesting how they put this. Her car slammed into Anita. Like she had nothing to do with it.
Not surprising since the media routinely blames an SUV as though it has a mind of its own. Rush has documented this curious phenomenon for a number of years on his radio show.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
As the article said, there are no winners & no celebration here. A terrible tragedy...BUT, as long as people keep getting by without consequence because AFTER THE FACT!!!, they are remorseful & sorry, & are great moms & pillers of the community, it'll keep on happening! Innocent people will keep getting killed & the greatest, nicest, most careing...............self-centered & thoughtless people in the world will keep being sorry, & nothing will change.

This doesn't work. To hold people accountable with very public & very harsh consequences is the only chance of detering these types of tragedies. JMO.
+1

·
Guilty By Association
650 Posts
Hunt will remain free on bond until she is sentenced. No date for that sentencing has been set. She could get as much as five years in prison, or as little as probation.
AS LITTLE AS PROBATION?!? Whether she meant to or not, She still killed a biker due to negligence.....I say 10-30 yrs. If she gets probation, I would shoot her, then claim i was painting my nails while carrying my gun and i didnt see her when it went off. see if they give me probation...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
"The eight-woman, four-man jury deliberated for three-and-a-half hours before ...."

Howcome three and a half hours? three and half minutes shouldve been plenty!
+1

AND % yrs for taking someone in prime of their life...this was no accident but selfish carelessness. We Americans need to wake up before everu criminal action is excused. Just like drunk drivers..i have lost too many to careless selfish stupid people who have no right nor should they have any priviledge too get behind the wheel of a car let alone a big wheel....off my soapbox

May Anita rest in peace and her family consoled and the idiot who hit her ROT in jail!

·
ATGATT Too old to heal
34 Posts
What I would really like to see is: 1.) meaningful jail time, and 2.) court ordered and monitored public speeches detailing the consequences of distracted driving. Maybe if we had to hear and see that these terrible events affected people that we could relate to, we would all make better decisions behind the wheel. Too many drivers believe that they are capable of "multi-tasking" when in reality, driving is a full time activity. I don't even talk on my cell phone while driving, and watching other drivers making stupid mistakes while trying to operate a cell phone reinforces my refusal to do so. Don't even think about applying nail polish or make up, trying to shave or reply to a text message or email while driving. When you do these things, you are saying loud and clear, that you don't care about anyone but yourself.

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
I agree, in the past week I have seen 3 cars crossing over the line. when I pulled along side to pass they were either talking
on the phone or in one case texting. she wasn't even looking up!

People need to be made accountable for their actions. and not get a slap on the hand, because they have progeny.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts