Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what you have to do to earn your motorcycle license. Im 16 and have been wondering about getting a motorcycle for awhile now. Like what are all the steps included in working your way to riding a motocycle. If you can explain these things to me that would be great, and remember im a total noob here so forgive me if im not so sure on what all your talkin about. Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Welcome!

I'm pretty much a n00b too... but I've gone thru most of the steps thus far...
-decided bike I want to ride
-purchased gear
-take MSF (motorcycle safety federation) class
-go to DMV and get endorsement on license

I'm sure wiser and more experienced ones will chime in...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

that's pretty much the steps to take :wink:
if you have never riden at all you might consider taking a spin on a dirt or enduro bike
off road just to get a feel for how a bike handles and to get familiar with the controls

good luck!! :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have riden my cousins ATVs about 5-6 times and have felt pretty good with that but im not sure how much of a comparison that is to a motorcycle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
welcome. there's a big difference between a quad and a motorcycle. I'd advise a dirt bike too, if you have somewhere to ride it. If not, take the MSF course first, then that'll help you see what size of bike to get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohio. I think i read that passing the MSF course is required to get your license if you are under 18

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
When I first started riding, it was on a Honda XR250L dual sport bike. It was registered and insured as a motorcycle, but could be driven off road very easily. I think the off road driving is a good way to start off on learning the basic controls of a motorcycle. Also, if a safety course is offered, take it. In my area there are no such things, so I learned from off roading almost everyday and from riding with my dad on the street.

I've also noticed between the different bikes I've driven, that the Dual Sport or Enduro, are one of the easiest bikes to do figure 8's with, which in my area is a requirement for your license.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:idea: I think that the trails are a great place to learn about controls, and how to handle the bike, but traffic and things are important to learn to deal with too. A ninja 250 is a GREAT bike to learn on, IMHO. :?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i was just thinkin. What do you guys do if theres potholes like on the highway? haha what a noob-like question.

·
Registered
380 Posts
well, if they get too close swerve, but then you know you haven't been watching... just adjust your lane position, assuming they aren't that big ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Potholes...

It's all good advice - after a while you'll cope with them instinctively, and you'll learn to anticipate other hazards (like the man-hole covers, the painted lines, the cow/horse-****, the diesel spills, the wet leaves, etc.) and quadruple the danger factor when it's wet! Hang in there - the reward is freedom and a very big smile!

Cheers,
Wanderingoffagain

·
Registered
456 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
And whatever you do don't look at them, look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.
That sounds like some philosopher's baloney, but it is the absolute truth. And it is one of life's most important lessons. Before you shoot a free throw in basketball, you always picture the ball going through the net, right? If you don't it almost certainly won't go through. Fix your mind on the good things in life, and that is where you'll be. Don't worry about what will happen if you don't have the rent money; instead imagine yourself earning the rent money.
Curt

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

potholes come from the road demons falling out of my ride bell :p

so just watch the road and you'll be fine cause i ain't taking my bell off :lol:

"And whatever you do don't look at them, look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go."

that's what you do

:wink:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
"And whatever you do don't look at them, look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go."

that's what you do

:wink:
Very sound advice, wish I'd of tought of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts