Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finished off the first tank of gas since the mods (dual air, baggers, and PCIII and custom map). I drove the bike harder than I ever have, winding the rpm's up higher than usual on a regular basis, maintaining 80-85mph on the freeway for extended periods, and hitting 100mph once (I know, I know.... ).

My mpg driving the arse off the Nad was: 32.5mpg

The next tank I will drive completely "normal"... not babying it nor riding it "like I stole it" and I will chime back in to state the difference in mpg.

I was averaging ~35mpg before the dual air mod, custom map and dyno, so driving like a madman with NO regard for mpg + the added performance mods didn't bite the mpg too badly really. I can certainly live with it, especially since I know I don't ride like that normally.

Daryl

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
It'll be great to hear the comparison on the fuel mileage, but we need to know what you think of the performance difference too now that you experienced it for a few miles. Do tell . . .

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BA,

I noticed a lot of increase in torque and in overall speed. The bike "pulls" very fast, has a lot more "get up and go". The first time I jumped on it after all the mods, it about jumped out of my grip! I wasn't expecting that much difference. The motor is smooth throughout each gear and at all throttle positions. There is no "lug" at lower rpm's as the air:fuel ratio has been dialed in throughout the power range.

I feel like the motor is NOW how it should've come originally from Kawi given the 95ci displacement.

Hope that helps...
Daryl

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Yes, that's what we needed. Sounds like all the effort has paid off. Congrats on a "new" machine!

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! I'm very happy with the results after all the mods, etc. I posted a thread that stated the new hp and ft.lbs of torque numbers: 67 and 85, respectively.

DS

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Back in July, I put my stock pipes back on (cops cracking down in some local cities) and disconnected the EFI programmer.

Saw no difference in economy.... big difference in power.

I DID see a slight drop in economy when I installed the quiet baffles in my V&H pipes, but I did not adjust the EFI to run leaner when I installed them.
I leaned it out a bit a couple of weeks ago and mileage dropped on last weekend's ride.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I had my '05 Nomad it came with PCIII and VH pipes. It ran great. I rode it pretty hard most of the time. I averaged about 30mpg. I think best I ever saw was 34.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but there seems to be no consistency in the MPG people are reporting on this thread, even when comparing the same bikes and very similar mods???

If we look at those who have modified pipes, air and fuel MPG in the 1600cc class, there seems to be a range between 30mpg (lowest) and 50mpg (highest).... Why is this?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but there seems to be no consistency in the MPG people are reporting on this thread, even when comparing the same bikes and very similar mods???

If we look at those who have modified pipes, air and fuel MPG in the 1600cc class, there seems to be a range between 30mpg (lowest) and 50mpg (highest).... Why is this?
I don't know how anyone could get 50mpg from a Nomad if you have a PCIII and pipes. Unless you're riding it 45mph in 5th gear all the time or something.
Maybe the mapping on mine was too rich....I never messed with it. But I averaged low 30s consistently. Then again I've always had sportbikes and I was always goosing the Nomad for power and revving it high.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I averaged low 30s consistently. Then again I've always had sportbikes and I was always goosing the Nomad for power and revving it high.
Yeah maybe that was my problem. I'm stuck with 30MPG, but I'm not going to be riding like a Grandma just to get better milage.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
BA,

I noticed a lot of increase in torque and in overall speed. The bike "pulls" very fast, has a lot more "get up and go". The first time I jumped on it after all the mods, it about jumped out of my grip! I wasn't expecting that much difference. The motor is smooth throughout each gear and at all throttle positions. There is no "lug" at lower rpm's as the air:fuel ratio has been dialed in throughout the power range.

I feel like the motor is NOW how it should've come originally from Kawi given the 95ci displacement.

Hope that helps...
Daryl
you should also notice that the topend doesnt seem to be starving anymore..

when i piped, jetted and air'd my carb'd 1500 classic she gained legs to run

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before I Installed Pipes,k&n Filter,and Cobra Programmer I Was Getting An Average Of 35mpg Around Town And Back/forth To Work
And 40-42mpg On Highway At An Average Speed Of 70mph. Have Only Ridden A Couple Of Times Since Mods Were Done Over The Winter And Havent Been Able To Test Mileage,however Performance Seems To Greatly Improved. When Weather Clears And Can Start Riding Daily Will Post About Mileage Im Getting. Also Still Have To Dial The Cobra Programmer.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Still working on the tank of gas that I'm riding it "normally". Only riding to/from work right now, so might be a couple/few more days 'til I get to the end of the tank and refill to compute mpg. Will post then with mpg under "normal, everyday" driving style!

Cheers,
Daryl

·
Registered
411 Posts
So much depends on riding style, city or open road cruising, tire pressure, (you get the idea). My stock 1600 Classic use to average 42 mpg cruising the highways, but dropped to 35 mpg in stop and go traffic. My first mods were V&H BigShots, Cobra 2000 Fi processer, and Pro Series Hypercharger. The bike had "tons" of torque and power, but couldn't get any better than 36 mpg. I changed over to the PC III and Baron's BAK with the V&H. The power feels the same and the mileage is now averaging 39 to 40 mpg. So many variables will affect you're mileage, but I think it depends mostly on you driving habits. Same thing for cars, IMHO.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, just filled up after a tank of "normal, everyday" riding. No hot-rodding, no showing off, no nothing. Just plain ol' riding: 60-65mph on the superslab, constant speeds, gradual accelerations, the whole 9 yards!

My mpg for "normal" driving is....... 35mpg. Compared to the 32mpg when I drive more aggressively (which is rare for me, anyhow).

All said and done, I can live with the mpg for both styles given the mods I have. Hope this helps those who are in the process or are considering performance mods.

Best,
Daryl

·
Registered
612 Posts
My first mods were V&H BigShots, Cobra 2000 Fi processer, and Pro Series Hypercharger. The bike had "tons" of torque and power, but couldn't get any better than 36 mpg. I changed over to the PC III and Baron's BAK with the V&H. The power feels the same and the mileage is now averaging 39 to 40 mpg. .
So what do you think was the difference between the two set ups that gave you different milage results - yet the same feeling of peformance??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Basically, I believe the PC III and "map" caused the most change. The Cobra 2000 FI will only allow you to "add" fuel, plus adjusting the pots for it was guesswork unless you had it dynoed. I can customize my PCIII to whatever power band I want, which sometimes calls for "less" fuel at certain rpms.
BTW, I changed the hypercharger for the BAK for comfort reasons (couldn't get comfortable after an hour of cruising). Both units supply more than enough air to generate the added torque and hp. When I'm doing highway driving at 60-65 mph, gas mileage averages around 40 mpg,even riding 2-up. When I'm feeling "racey" and twisting the throttle hard, it drops to around 35-36 mpg. I don't "baby" the engine or luge it and usually run 89 or 91 octane, adding 4 or 5 ounces of seaform every 1000 miles.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+1 with cruznut6. You have to find the combination of mods and air:fuel mix that works for YOUR bike. The PCIII enables a custom map to be imported that is tailor-made for YOUR bikes motor. The FI2000 fuel processor will get you close; the PCIII will make it precise.

DS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts