Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my second day of my MSF course, we rode from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and I loved it. I have realized though a ninja 250 wont suit me, its just to underpowered. They had me on a kawasaki eliminator, I had to shift to second gear to get 10 miles and above lol. I figure I'll look for a 600, or if something bigger comes my way id be happy. I do realize the Eliminator is only 125, and I still don't think a 250 would suit me. I do my written test tomorrow, and get my motorcycle license! I can't wait to get my own bike. I did have some problems though, like getting going. I can't seem to match the clutch and the engine speed right. I also noticed at slower speeds I was a bit touchier. I'm hoping this is something that will change over time due to experience.

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
Ride what you're comfortable with. I started on a 600, (allthough I did have experience in moto-x), and it was a good fit for me. I will say as a 1st bike, the 600 was plenty fast for me. After a few years though, I had to upgrade to the big boy.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Good luck tomorrow, and smart move on taking the MSF course.

FWIW, You can probably get a 500 Ninja used for next to nothing. They're about 5k new for the 500 and about 6.5k for the 600. It would give you the extra oomph you are looking for over the 250 without killing you on the insurance that the extra 100cc's will do to you.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Just finished my second day of my MSF course, we rode from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and I loved it. I have realized though a ninja 250 wont suit me, its just to underpowered. They had me on a kawasaki eliminator, I had to shift to second gear to get 10 miles and above lol. I figure I'll look for a 600, or if something bigger comes my way id be happy. I do realize the Eliminator is only 125, and I still don't think a 250 would suit me. I do my written test tomorrow, and get my motorcycle license! I can't wait to get my own bike. I did have some problems though, like getting going. I can't seem to match the clutch and the engine speed right. I also noticed at slower speeds I was a bit touchier. I'm hoping this is something that will change over time due to experience.

Give it a little time and it'll become second nature.
Good luck today...:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have realized though a ninja 250 wont suit me, its just to underpowered. They had me on a kawasaki eliminator, I had to shift to second gear to get 10 miles and above lol.
I have lots of life-experience, though not so much (recent) motorcycling experience, having been away for a couple decades and only recently returned to the fold. I did do LOTS of research, including investing many hours on the forums.

My 2 cents:

A Ninja 250 twin sportbike is NOT equivalent to the single cyl. cruiser-style Eliminator. I took my saftety course on a Yam. 250 cc Virago, and though I would not choose a 125 Eliminator or 250 Virago for myself, I would seriously consider a 250 Ninja. As it is, the 250 Ninja is on the short list of bikes I will suggest to my wife once she takes her saftety course next Spring. Others on the list are the Ninja EX500 and the Vulcan EN500 if she decides she prefers the cruiser-style.

If you realized based on a 2-day course that what you initially thought you wanted may not be, just think what will happen after a few months of regular riding? Start with something inexpensive and modest, and upgrade once you figure out what you're doing.

A Ninja 250 is a fine bike, fast enough to get you in real trouble, cheap on gas and insurance, and would be real easy to sell when you are ready.

My starter bike is a new-to-me 2004 Kawi EX500. I got a good price on it and should be able to get all (or almost all) my money out of it if / when I decide to upgrade. On paper, I like the Versys, 650 Ninja, and SV 650 (standard), but after a season or 2 on the EX500, I'll have a better perspective on the style of riding and bike that suits me best.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Good luck. Remember that it takes time to become a good rider. And you are always learning. But most of all, remember to be careful. My saying is, "I'm not paranoid, everybody IS out to get me".

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
jonl is absolutely right. That 125 Eliminator is a totally different bike from the 250R. The only way you can judge whether-or-not the 250 is "too underpowered" for you is by actually riding one.

However, if you're convinced that a 250R won't cut it, then CycleDude's advice on the 500R is spot-on. At 50 hp with a very forgiving throttle, relaxed ergos and with so many used ones out there, it makes it the perfect first bike.

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
The new Ninja 250 has been retuned to have more bottom and mid range power (according to an article I read) It's light and pretty zippy once you get up in the rev range.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, you all are gonna think I'm an idiot but. I'm getting a GSXR 600, they got em around here pretty cheap gonna go used. I'm a pretty cautious driver, and realize my limits, so I feel it will be a good investment. I also know the 125 isn't a spot on comparison for the 250, but I'm pretty confident in my realization that a 250 isn't enough for me.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My first bike was a Honda 90 Trail...in 1968. I didn't have any training, and I made all my mistakes on it at fairly low speeds. When I finally got a bigger bike, I was ready for it.

A 250 Ninja would be more powerful and faster than the 350 Yamaha I bought in 1974.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know if the gsxr 600 height adjust would fit someone say around 5' 10-11"? I sat on a couple at the dealership that seemed to be a tiny bit high, I could almost get flat footed but maybe an inch away.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Sportbikes and competition-level dirtbikes do have taller seat heights.

Honestly, if you are not comfortable with the Gixxer at this point in your riding experience, please reconsider something smaller.

Most bikes were designed with someone in the 5'9"-6' height and 175lb weight range in mind, so you're right in there.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
you should never buy a vehicle as an investment. Value will always go down. This isn't your first bike either, so I'd stay away from the gixxer if I were you. Try out the ninja 250, ninja 500, svs 650 and the 650r at the very least before jumping to the 600's. I really think a 250 or 500 will work for you. You'd be suprised what they can offer in terms of performance. When you are young its hard to make these kind of choices because your ego has the best of you, but you'll thank yourself later if you can control it now.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You should look at the Suzuki SV650 or the Kawasaki Ninja 650R as well. They are much more forgiving, have a shorter seat height and are VERY light. I just upgraded from a 250 to a 650 yesterday. We even went 2 up on the bike and it had NO problem accelerating. My hubby said he wishes he had it instead of the Suzuki Bandit when he started. As for me, I think it will be all the bike I ever need. I don' t want something overly heavy and hard to control, I just want to enjoy riding.

I am 5'5" and can just about flat foot the 650. I just need maybe 1/4 or 1/2" more. If I press down hard I can flat foot. So I ordered a used seat from a guy on Ebay and I'm going to attempt to shave it.

Also they have been making the Ninja 650 since 2006 so you could save some bucks and get one used.

Check out reviews online as well for all the bikes you are looking at. Like this one: 2006 Ninja 650R vs Suzuki SV650 - MotorcycleUSA.com

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'll avoid the 'you should get the 250' comments, and just suggest that before you buy anything, you price out your insurance. A friend of mine was dead set on getting an Interceptor in the mid 1980's until he priced the insurance. That Hawk started looking really good to him after that. ;)

Remember also that the average sportbike is more expensive on tires, wears out chains faster, and has more expensive bodywork on it if you drop it. Cost of ownership can be a lot higher than on a smaller semi-faired bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've priced insurance and I must have done something wrong because a 06 gsxr 600 costs 120 a month, whereas the 08 ninja goes for around 150-160. I don't plan to go all out and race the bike, so tires and chains should have normal wear. I feel I can hold myself back enough until I'm more experienced. As for the investment, every vehicle you will ever buy is going to be an investment. That's why you compare and find the best option for yourself. A friend of mine started out on a suzuki 1000, I'm confident enough I'll be super cautious on it. My family gets mad at me because I drone on about seat belts, and do the speed limit in my mom's car now. I was just curious about how low a gsxr 600 can go, the guy at the dealership told me the suspension was set a little high on the ones I sat on. Gas mileage, I'll get about 40 mpg which isn't 70 mpg but still its the equivalent of a hybrid fuel efficient car. As for the body work, I'll only replace a plastic if it looks super bad. I don't care about scratches, and I will go used, any year from 2001-2007. We have quite a bit of deserted roads out here and I plan on having my bike out on them every single day, any minute I can spare. I also sat on a Hayabusa and let me say those things are beasts. They are heavy as hell, and the tank had me hugging the tank so hard that I felt like my pants were gonna rip. Now that bike would scare the hell out of me on the road lol.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts