Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching for my new cruiser. This will be a first road purchase for me, but have been riding dirt bikes for 20+ years. I have rented a couple of bikes and the 1600cc HD Dyna Glide rode well at 80mph and felt stable. I haven't ridden a Jap bike yet, but understand them to be more powerful.

I am leaning toward the VN900, but am concerned about the ability to ride comfortably at 80 mph (solo). I have read quite a bit on this forum relating to the 9 being susceptable to cross winds and such. For the owners of the 9:

1. How much vibration do you feel at 80 mph?
2. Do you feel the bike is 'comfortable' at this speed?
3. Does the overdrive make the comfort level better?

I have also been looking at the Mean Streak 1600, and if money were no object I might just get the 1600. Unfortunately, I am on a budget and the 900 would fit better.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
The 900 will cruise at 80mph all day long. That said, the rpms are going to be significantly higher than a larger displacement bike at that speed. That's what leads to the buzziness. If you're planning on a large percentage of your saddle time being on the highway at that speed, you'd probably be more comfortable on a larger bike. No cruiser under 1500cc is going to be immune from that. Personally it doesn't much bother me, but if I was planning on doing a lot of long trips, it might.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like the 900 up to 70 mph. mine starts to vibrate quite a bit above 70. I do plan on putting a scootwork pully on it to make it more highway friendly. I think you get alot of bike for the money with the 900.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
How long have you had it? The engine smoothes out quite a bit between 1000 and 3000 miles. You'll notice that the speed you have to hit to get it to vibrate keeps going up and up.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My brother has a Dyna special, and I think the 900 is about the same as far as vibration goes. The 900 is more comfortable to handle, with a better seat installed.
I don't think the 900 is designed for superslab riding, although it handles it fine. There are other bikes that would do a better job for not that much more money.

D

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother has a Dyna special, and I think the 900 is about the same as far as vibration goes. . . .
Thanks for the input! That helps me to get an idea what I am looking at. I will be cruising mostly off-highway roads, but want the ability to hit the interstate now and then.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If that's your use, you will love either the 900, or the Dyna. They're both sweet bikes. The 900 price tag is a little easier to swallow.

D

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
I like the 900 up to 70 mph. mine starts to vibrate quite a bit above 70. I do plan on putting a scootwork pully on it to make it more highway friendly. I think you get alot of bike for the money with the 900.
+1
I keep hearing what a big difference the scootworks pulley makes for the 900!!!! I can't wait to get one!!!!

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
I actually don't feel a whole of vibration...I just hear the engine rev at high rpm's when I go that fast. Scootworks pulley lowers the rpm's :biggrin:

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
1. How much vibration do you feel at 80 mph?
2. Do you feel the bike is 'comfortable' at this speed?
3. Does the overdrive make the comfort level better?
I have over 16000 miles on my 900 and its a great bike, but to answer your questions.

1. Its pretty buzzy at that speed

2. Comfortable in handling, but a little buzzy, but the LT is running out of power at this speed. That big shield kills the top end.

3. The front pulley helps a little.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
After the first 3500 miles it gets smoother at 75, a little busy turning at about 4200 rpm. This bothers some people doesn't bother others.
I have the pulley and it does help significantly, drops RPM about 300 or so which is about 6% I think.
I like a bigger bike for myself & passenger but just me and the 900 is fine, I'm 230 lbs. Wind is a factor but most bikes are untill you get to 650 lbs or more.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've not rode the 900 but I can tell you about the 1600 classic. It seems to be a bike that doesn't like the slow speeds,,LOL. up to 65-68mph its ok, from about 68 to 75mph or so I start to get a little buzz in the Dually pegs on the cobra fatty bar but not bad. but when I get past that and get up to 80-90 mph its like riding on glass, like everything just starts to hum and it all comes together at those speeds.
its awesome

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
My 900 is the first bike I have had in many years so I really can't compare it to anything. That being said, I usually rode between 60-70 on the highway and I never noticed any vibrations. Once I started running 75-80 I noticed some vibrations in my feet. Not bad, but not there at lower speeds. Because I knew I was going to be taking a trip later this summer I got the Scootworks pulley. The bike has a Memphis Fats shield and Leatherlyke bags. So on my trip with me, my tail bag and side bags loaded it is carrying somewhere around 350 lbs. I do know we were running I-5 for 300+ miles at 80 (GPS) and I did not notice the previous vibrations. My top speed was 93 (GPS), it just would not go any faster.....now my car I don't think I have ever had it over 80mph and on the bike 70-75 is my comfort level on the highway. As a result of the trip I added some Phat I risers (comfort) and a Baron's BAK for just a bit more hp/torque....:)

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don't mind the vibrations as much as I mind the tapped out performance at 70-80 MPH. You get the feeling that if you do not like where you are in traffic you only have one choice...slow down. Going around a semi that is spitting pebbles at you and creating disturbed air in front of you is no realistic option at that speed. I have already acquired a ZRX 1200 (Standard Sport Bike) for that reason and will likely trade my 900 in for a Mean Streak this Summer. Unless someone wants to buy it here. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts