Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have read any of my other posts, you know the story. Bought a Mule 1000 off of CraigsList for $600. It needs a lot of work but runs and drives. Blah blah blah.

The guy I bought it from said the diaphragms in the carbs. were both bad. I know this is a pricy fix but I want this thing to run and drive like a top so I'm ok with spending the money if and when I get the time to work on it.

One odd thing I've noticed with this is that when you start it up and it is cold, you have to choke it to get it running. At first, it runs rough and if I didn't know any better, I'd say it was running on 1 cylinder. After a minute or 2, something magic happens and then it seems to run perfectly and sounds like both cylinders are firing.

The same happens when you drive it. It will idle really low sounding like you are running on 1 cylinder. When you accelerate, it is like someone flips a switch and it goes from sluggish and slow to really fast--again, sounding like it is running on both cylinders. I know that "timing" both carbs. is important but is there something else I should check? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? Is it electrical or carb.-related?

Thanks,

Otis

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I fixed our 1000 diaphrams were not available and priced at $1200.00 ea !! Complete carb set ready to bolt on, synchronized and needing no adjustments was only $600.00+ and IMHO well worth it. Differential lock on ours is a lever on the left side of the steering column as I remember, I'm in AZ not WA State where the MULE is. Lever moves over and locks on a ledge on the mounting panel. If I remember correctly the cable goes to the top of the transaxle. I think they did make wharehouse mules that didn't have the locking feature as they were designed to be run on hard surfaces only. Shop manual covers all models. Use the kind folks here at Beartooth and mention you are a forum member for a discount. Max

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked on one of these OEM parts web sites that has the complete carb. breakdown and I don't see anything that costs $1200 in the entire carb. (Was that a typo?)

Without taking the carb. apart, I don't know which part is the diaphragm but it appears to be what the web site refers to as the "throttle valve". If so, they are $102 each. It seems to me that rebuilding the carbs. for $300 (including new throttle valves) is more cost-effective than buying a new/remanufactured set for $600. Am I missing something here? Do they sell rebuild kits for this or do I have to order each piece separately?

Also, when you guys rebuild your carbs., do you soak the parts that aren't getting replaced in anything overnight to remove the varnish? If so, what do you soak it in? I used Carb. Cleaner to clean everything on my Bayou 220 when I cleaned the carb. but I've heard horror stories of Carb. Cleaner ruining o-rings and gaskets. Any thoughts?

Thanks, again, for your help!

Otis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts