Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a thing or two about electrical stuff. I have a degree in Electronics and I am in the computer field. Naturally, I like tinkering with low voltage stuff.

We just picked our used Mule up last week and, as I said in another post, the wiring has issues. This Mule supposedly was a Park Service vehicle and has a small toggle switch with pilot light on the right side of the dash. Naturally, since whatever it was connected to is no longer there, turning the switch on does nothing. The odd thing about this, though, is that the pilot light only comes on under acceleration. It isn't controlled by the switch and it isn't controlled by having the ignition in the "on" position.

If you accelerate, the light is lit--if you let off and coast, it goes out.

Does anyone have any ideas what this switch might have been for? Does anyone know which circuit would only apply 12V to the light when accelerating? (I assume the alternator/charging circuit but it would still charge at idle.)

As I said, I know about electrical things to a point, but I don't have a clue about this Mule's electrical system.

Thanks for your help!

Otis

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you tell the color of the wires feeding the pilot light are? When you check this you need to follow them to the main harness to make sure of thier color. They may have been spliced to the harness. If you have a manual you can then possibly see where they are getting their signal from. Also it would probably help you to check what voltage is present when you get the light. You may find out that it is there all the time when checked to ground and that a ground is being supplied only when you accelerate. At any rate I suspect that it is something to do with a signal from you ignitor or speed sensor in the speedometer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

So, which manual should I buy? I have an 88 Mule 1000--I've seen manuals for Mule 1000s made in the 90's--though, I thought they only made this model for 2 years.

I don't want to buy the wrong manual.

Thanks!

Otis

·
Registered
31 Posts
According to the Kawasaki web site they were only made in 1988. If you check your vin no. which is a 17 digit no. located on the frame below the radiator you can go to the Kawasaki.com site and enter the vin no and it will tell you for sure what you have. Then Call Beartooth and get the manual. Mine is the (Kawasaki Mule 1000 Utility Service Manual) Part No 99924-1107-01 Model Application KAF450-A1 & B1
The A1 has no locking differential. The B1 does have a Locking Differential

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, that helps. I've never looked at/for the VIN but I will tonight.

This one does have the locking diff, however, the cable is broken. It's on the list of things to fix--along with the brakes, the parking brake, the electrical system, recovering the seat, changing the fluids, replacing the tires...it appears that just about everything needs to be done. (Fluids is one of the first things I'll do, by the way...that list was in no particular order.) :)

Thanks for your help!

Otis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts