Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been scouring the internet and here for info on the Mule 1000. I bought one in very good condition last year. I know these are old, outdated and have been described as a "glorified golf cart" but for me I'm OK with it. I can't affford a newer one and I don't think I'd spend the money on one if i had it. I'm more of the, buy it cheap, modify it and torment my buddies cause they dropped $12k and I didn't have to.

I want to thank those who have given there knowledge to those that have asked questions here. It has been a great help to me in gaining knowledge on the Mule. Thanks.

I'm planning on a CDI upgrade, cam change, exhaust upgrade, carb jet increase and possibly 34mm carb upgrade. I've got a 87 LTD454 CDI box, 87 LTD454 cams and larger jets for the Mule carbs. I'm not lookin to race it just gain a bit more power to compliment my front lift kit and 25/12/10 Kenda Bear Klaws. I'm still seeking some info about the LTD454 CDI upgrade. I'm a self taught mechanic and have a good general knowledge of most internal combustion, motion devices. I've gone through the wiring diagrams and got the wiring changeover figured out.

Do I need the LTD454 flywheel considering it is a dual pickup coil unit and the LTD454 side cover won't work on the Mule?

I plan to use one pickup one from the CDI and send that output to both coils.

If both the LTD454 and Mule have there respective flywheel timing projection excite the pickup coil at TDC then I don't see the need for the flywheel swap, am I missing something here? I don't wanna drop a couple hundred on a flywheel if I don't need to.
I've read online that some have swapped in the bike CDI but no info was given on a flywheel change or any specifics. Without having a complete bike here to tear into and test myself I'm relying on anyone's experience, if they're willing to share it? Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The ignition timing is considerably retarded from the cycle. This prevents burn down under load. I would use the MC flywheel and all the MC components, including the camshaft. Then jet from the 650 chart, not the 454 chart, and jet fat to avoid frying a piston.

The Mule is made to lug, the cycle to run free with less than a quarter of the load on the engine, and with a lot more power. Take that into consideration.

I used to build these up back in the day and let the kids race them at the local tractor pulls, fairs, and such before all those events became *****fied and good old hair shirt activities where the parents drank beer as the kids raced were banned. It was a lot of fun to show up with one hogged out to 650 cc's and blow the doors off the tall dollar Polaris UTVs and the hand built 750 Honda powered tricycles.

They can be made to run well over 70 mph, but that is dangerous unless you rework the front suspension for better tracking and less travel, and bolt a thick steel plate in the bed. They will become airborne quite easily over 50 mph. You also need to think about wheels and tires, the UTV stuff is pretty shaky over 35 mph, but Daewoo wheels fit quite nicely and you can use real tires that get right out and travel if that is done.

But, then again, smiling at the local events used to be an acceptable past time, even if someone were gripping the seat hard enough that they took part of the upholstery with them when they got up from the seat!

Just be real careful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. From my research of other Mule threads, you do seem to have real vast knowledge of these Mules. I will continue to aquire the engine parts from the bike and convert them over, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, been scouring the internet and here for info on the Mule 1000. I bought one in very good condition last year. I know these are old, outdated and have been described as a "glorified golf cart" but for me I'm OK with it. I can't affford a newer one and I don't think I'd spend the money on one if i had it. I'm more of the, buy it cheap, modify it and torment my buddies cause they dropped $12k and I didn't have to.

I want to thank those who have given there knowledge to those that have asked questions here. It has been a great help to me in gaining knowledge on the Mule. Thanks.

I'm planning on a CDI upgrade, cam change, exhaust upgrade, carb jet increase and possibly 34mm carb upgrade. I've got a 87 LTD454 CDI box, 87 LTD454 cams and larger jets for the Mule carbs. I'm not lookin to race it just gain a bit more power to compliment my front lift kit and 25/12/10 Kenda Bear Klaws. I'm still seeking some info about the LTD454 CDI upgrade. I'm a self taught mechanic and have a good general knowledge of most internal combustion, motion devices. I've gone through the wiring diagrams and got the wiring changeover figured out.

Do I need the LTD454 flywheel considering it is a dual pickup coil unit and the LTD454 side cover won't work on the Mule?

I plan to use one pickup one from the CDI and send that output to both coils.

If both the LTD454 and Mule have there respective flywheel timing projection excite the pickup coil at TDC then I don't see the need for the flywheel swap, am I missing something here? I don't wanna drop a couple hundred on a flywheel if I don't need to.
I've read online that some have swapped in the bike CDI but no info was given on a flywheel change or any specifics. Without having a complete bike here to tear into and test myself I'm relying on anyone's experience, if they're willing to share it? Thanks again!
How did the mule turn out I have one also been wanting to experiment with I used to strip these things down from Craigslist sales and sell on eBay and finally got one to keep , any info would be great

1 - 4 of 4 Posts