Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Mule, working on my recently aquired 1000. After rigging a stand alone fule pump, it will start and run on 1 cyl, NO power, will barely pull itself. Reading on this forum, i learned the ignitor controls the fuel pump, and when it goes bad it kills power to the pump. I swapped the wires on the coils, with jumpers, and the other coil fires. Will start n run if you swap coil wires.
Talked to dealer 2 day, mech sayd in 12 yrs hes NEVER seen ignitor go bad, usually the pulse coil(s), or the ign switch. He sayd if the pulse coil stops producing a signal, it will kill the fuel pump to prevent engine damage from dumping feul in that cyl. Anyone agree with this diag. He also said no way to test the pulse coil w/o a special meter, peak i think he said. I hate to spend the $400 on the ignitor and not need it, but also hate to spend $50 ea on the p coils, then learn its the ignitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks! jason:cry:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jason, I'm not sure how the governor function works but it does cut the ignition to control speed over the ground to about 25. What if it was getting a signal it didn't need? I believe the signal comes from the speedometer and goes back to the ignitor box. I don't know if it just cuts one or both cylinders, but cutting one would do the job. I've considered disconnecting that wire pair and see if ours will go faster, then reconnect it for my wife and dogs to ride in as the brakes haven't been redone yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hadnt thought of that! unfortunately, a PO removed the ign switch and repl it with a toggle and a button, mustve been an old VW guy! anyway, the spedo and dashlight are out o the equasion now. I think you are correct, about disconnecting that wire, maybe a toggle switch under the dash only u know about! itll leave everyone wondering!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I agree with the mechanic's diagnosis.

I would pop the pulse coil (there is only one and it costs around $38 and change) and take it to the the Kaw dealer and have it checked. I have never seen them charge for the test if you take the parts in, but then each dealer sets their own policies.

If the pulse coil is breaking down it will not generate enough saturation time for the ignition coils to build full power and the spark will be weak, hence no power. Usually, it will simply not fire at all.

If memory serves me correctly, the ignition switch on the KAF450 B-1 Mule 1000 is just two wires, so a make or break toggle switch is just fine and a lot cheaper than the $80 OEM part. Seems to me the lights and other devices each have their own push button switches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time writer. Some back ground on myself. I'm a retired Army mechanic, currently working as a mechanic for a public works department.
I have the same issue. Running on one cylinder. Compression is around 120 in both cylinders. Switched out the coils with no change. Spray carb cleaner in the carb when running with no change. I don't have a book but I have one the way. I'm torn between a blown head gasket which doesn't make sense and something electrical with that cylinder. Any ideas?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time writer. Some back ground on myself. I'm a retired Army mechanic, currently working as a mechanic for a public works department.
I have the same issue. Running on one cylinder. Compression is around 120 in both cylinders. Switched out the coils with no change. Spray carb cleaner in the carb when running with no change. I don't have a book but I have one the way. I'm torn between a blown head gasket which doesn't make sense and something electrical with that cylinder. Any ideas?

Your own thread would have been more helpful. That said, a blown head gasket would show two things: One, low compression. Two, coolant loss. If it were electrical, you wouldn't have spark on that cylinder. Have you done a spark test yet? How much gap will the spark jump? If it won't jump 1/4" (outside the motor), then it won't jump the .040" gap under pressure. That would mean a toasted coil more than likely. Also, if the speedometer isn't connected, it messes with the ignition; basically the ignitor will cut spark in thinking that it's going too fast. Same thing can happen if the speed sensor inside the speedometer is not working properly....or if the speedo cable or drive is broken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts