Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a Mule 1000 AF450. The body is in average condition for its age. Problem is the engine. The previous owner was going to have it rebuilt but was told by the mechanic that parts were not available.

I only have fifty dollars invested in the machine and figure I can scrap it out for that. However, I would like to rebuild the engine.

Are parts available for a complete rebuild and if so, would the machine be worth the investment?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You may need to get a bit creative, but the engine is the same as used in the 450 LTD motorcycle, and is actually based on their 650 twin that was the British bike knockoff. Everything will swap with a bit of common sense.

I have rebuilt them with motorcycle parts, and rebuilt them to 650 specs too.

Just do a bit of part shopping once you know what you need, generally speaking it is not much once they are opened up and carefully inspected. Those were pretty tough engines and were derated for the Mule, so tend to maybe need a set of rings, a cam chain and cam chain guides, and a valve job to bring them back to a very long life.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do a search for MULE 1000 on here for my experiences rebuilding a 1000. It was expensive but based on the use my wife and her dogs and mother and her dog get from an almost daily MULE ride it was worth every penny. It rides lots nicer than her sisters 3010 and is quieter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may need to get a bit creative, but the engine is the same as used in the 450 LTD motorcycle, and is actually based on their 650 twin that was the British bike knockoff. Everything will swap with a bit of common sense.

I have rebuilt them with motorcycle parts, and rebuilt them to 650 specs too.

Just do a bit of part shopping once you know what you need, generally speaking it is not much once they are opened up and carefully inspected. Those were pretty tough engines and were derated for the Mule, so tend to maybe need a set of rings, a cam chain and cam chain guides, and a valve job to bring them back to a very long life.
Thanks for the response. I have purchased the Shop Manual for the 1000 and plan on rebuilding the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts