Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The Mule 1000 had no commercially available suspension kits available to my knowledge. The OEM suspension parts are readily available.

The 1000 uses a detuned version of the Kawasaki 450 LTD motorcycle engine, and is potentially the fastest Mule ever made if the modifications are thoughtfully executed, and the operator has to skills and plenty of life insurance. It also will cost a great deal to do the modifications.

It can be quite dangerous when operated at the speeds it can attain, as the suspension, brakes, and steering geometry are not designed for high speed operation and they can be easily flipped. Tires are also speed limited and will fail if operated at an excessive speed.

Also, when you start attaining the engine rpm's necessary to get the torque to make the speed it is necessary to change the torque converter system to a fairly expensive snowmobile configuration with high performance Comet clutches on both the drive and driven side, and a new Kevlar belt, to avoid belt disintegration and explosion of the clutch components.

I have a customer's 1000 in the shop for a tune up that I built for myself a number of years back, and it will easily hit 75 mph on a hard surface road with small automotive style pavement tires and wheels installed. That is another thing, they have the older technology carbureted motorcycle engine and require frequent tune ups, including attention to the carburetors, to keep them from developing carbon hot spots on the piston crown and burning a piston IF YOU BRING THE POWER UP TO ATTAIN MORE SPEED.

Frankly, I would not waste my time trying to speed one up today, you can buy a new Teryx for far less than the modifications to the 1000 will cost. They Teryx is built to handle the speed, and has a vastly superior passenger protection system.

You can also buy a used Yamaha Rhino for about half what the 1000 will cost to uprate. Just watch Craigslist or you local Nickel Ads for the units that young bucks with broken arms, legs and backs had and now have to sell to cover the medical bills.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thanks for taking the time to write that up... i am still interested, but now scared of it... i had no clue that was possible... the whole money pit part will keep me from looking any further...

thanks again,
Darrell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.