Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently replaced the blown up engine in my 2510 4x4 with an engine from a 3010. most of the swap has gone well. i took the wiring harness from my old engine and attached the coil,starter, oil press. and water temp leads without incedent. when it got to the magnetic pic-ups above the flywheel is when it got wierd. the old power plant has two, while the new has only one. iwas hoping that the "two" version would work since that was the easiest way to go about connecting wiring plugs but as we all already know, THAT WOULD HAVE BEE WAY TOO EASY! so, my question is, am i going to have to change my brain box or am i going to have to swap flywheels since the configuration of the raised points that trigger the pick-ups are different between the old and new? also, the stator on the old is two wire and the new is three, will i notice a big enough difference with the three wire stator to justify the wiring changes needed to use the three wire stator? is it even possible without a complete updated harness? please, anyone, help!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The newer units use a different ECM and wiring harness. Once you start down the path of swapping those it is kind of like pushing a rope as you will find ignition differences, key switch differences, and on and on. Frankly, I would swap the parts from my old engine and use your original wiring harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rcw, thanks for the reply. i actually did install the old harness on the new engine. since my earlier post i have tried swapping flywheels also, still nothing. i hav'nt actually checked for a spark at the plug so i may be being hasty in my conclusion about my timing being off i could possibly have another problem as well. i'll keep you posted,-no pun intinded-. thanks again and any other postings will be greatly appreciated.
darrel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts