Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Mule 2510. I just put a new carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, gas tank and gas lines in it. When we drive it, it starts great and has really good power at first. About 30 minutes into riding it - it just loses power. It still goes but at about half speed and can barely go up the smallest incline.

I need some ideas for troubleshooting this issue. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
93 Posts
When was the last time the valve clearance was checked? If the valves are tight when cold, then as the engine warms up it might be holding valves open and you would lose compression and power.

If you have a compression tester try it right after your power loss, while the engine is still hot.

Other than that, some Kawi's have belt failure detectors that limit power to 50%. Possibly you have a bad detector, or it just happens that after some riding it detects the belt is fraying because it really does need replacement. My experience is limited to ATV's and not Mules so pardon me if yours is not belt driven.

Can we assume that when you had it apart you removed any paper towels you may have stuffed into fuel system openings to prevent dirt from entering while it was a apart? You would not be the first person to forget and have a partially blocked fuel line or filter as a result.

Please let us know what you find. Good luck.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mule 2510 don't have a belt failure mode. When belt fails, it just stops pulling. Lot of them will knock big holes in the belt cover as well when teh belt comes apart.

Check for spark when the problem occurs. BOTH cylinders separately. They have two coils and if one fails, it'll drop spark on that cylinder which causes loss of power because, well, it won't run on that cylinder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1993 Mule 2510. I just put a new carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, gas tank and gas lines in it. When we drive it, it starts great and has really good power at first. About 30 minutes into riding it - it just loses power. It still goes but at about half speed and can barely go up the smallest incline.

I need some ideas for troubleshooting this issue. Thanks in advance!
I just had a sudden loss of power in my mule. It ended up being the rear coil. I thought it was a gas issue, but it was a coil. Just pull off a plug wire one at a time to see how it runs. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts