Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mule broken tie rod HELP PLEASE

My father has a mule 3010. He is disabled and depends on this mule for legs. We put up a deer stand and put him in it. When I went to leave the front left tire wouldn't turn, it's a 4x4. I looked at the steering rod(tie rod) and it is loose inside the boot. I haven't had time to take it apart yet but I was wondering if there was any kind of thread and nut inside this boot that could have come aloose or is it just a knuckle and poped out of the socket. We didn't hit anything or do anything to break it. And also it has the same problem not starting but now it has started ideling too high and grinding into gear, sometimes you have to choke it down while it's running to slow the motor so it won't grind. Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
There is a recall on the tie rod ends for exactly this problem. Check with your dealer to see if your's is one of the recalled units.

In a more direct response to your question, the tie rod end has a bolt that fails. Replace the entire end, but measure the distance from the center before you unscrew it from the tie rod, and then install the new one back the same distance. Sometimes counting the threads will work to get your initial setup.

If you go to Kawasaki's web site and follow the links to the parts diagrams, they will show you exactly what this bolt and end look like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts