Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently had the valves checked at 560hrs, and it started 'ok' when the weather was warmer. I have this in a basement garage, and can't get this started at all now even with starter fluid. I know these are cold natured. Any suggestions for making these start easier? Are there any kind of engine warmers available for these? Thanks,

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If it is a gas rig, make sure the ignition is working. I recommend picking up both a spare set of spark plugs, and then one of those cheap spark checking devices and make sure you are firing a spark to the plugs. If the spark plugs are working, and the choke was open while you sprayed in the starting fluid, it will start - guaranteed.

The most common problem with not starting in cold weather is over choking and flooding the plugs so they will not spark.

Other things to look for is corrosion on the ECM or key switch connections, resulting in no ignition at all. Sometimes, part number 21199, the igniter; or 59026, the pulsing coil can fail or have wet and corroded contacts.

If the rig has been starting hard and taking a long time to warm up, and then conking out once in a while in warmer weather, then I would lean toward the igniter or pulsing coil as the source of your problem. The last two items do not fail that often, but when they do you start having low power, difficulty in keeping them running when cold, and an occasional time when the engine just dies for no reason.

Most often they are damaged when someone jump starts the Mule from a running car or truck. The car or truck alternator overruns the Mule's electrical system and blows the internal IC's in one or both of those parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! It is gas so I will certainly check the plugs and investigate your other suggestions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problem ended up being a clogged in-line fuel screen. It's the little 1" screen that is in the fuel line right before the carburetor. It was full of fuel varnish. Had I known it was there, I would have checked that first. I've learned a ton just with this little problem!! Chalk it up to experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts