Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2009 4010 used about 3 months ago. While at first I did have an overheating issue that I resolved by purging the cooling system, other than that it has always fired right up and ran well. We keep it and use it at our lake house. This weekend my daughter and her friends and I drove it down to the beach, did a bit of exploring and then parked it when it got dark (it was a beautiful evening!). The next morning I was going to use it to move my jetski trailer around and when I turned the key on I didn't hear the familiar buzz I have always heard when I turned the key to position one (I have always assumed it's the fuel pump). At that point I pretty much knew it wasn't going to start. I turned if over a bit and it cranked fine but of course, not fire. The lights had been left on so I checked the battery and it was 12.4v. I did charge it but did not expect that to change my situation. It didn't. I did not have a lot of time before we were to leave to come home but did check all the connections in the air intake/injector area and they all seemed good.

I don't have a lot of time with this rig nor a lot of experience with Mules. It's very odd that it ran fine and then, all of the sudden I don't hear the fuel pump and it won't start. I assume for some reason, my fuel pump is not getting power or has gone bad. Am I correct in thinking that the buzzing sound I always heard was the fuel pump building pressure for the injectors? I read some other posts and gather that, if it's a power to the fuel pump issue, then the likely culprits are fuel pump relay, ignitor or a wire to the ignitor chaffing through.

I am hoping it's something fairly common and easy to fix (duh) since there was really no event. Anyone familiar with these have any thoughts or insight as to what is likely to have happened? How might I check the fuel pump relay and where is it? I read a post about 3010s having issues with the wire to the ignitor, is that also true of 4010? Can you access it by removing the flywheel cover and is that fairly simple or difficult? With my jetkis and golf carts and motorcycles I pretty much know where to look and what everything is. On this, I don't even remember noticing where the flywheel is and, unlike a carbureted engine, it's not clear what everything is with regard to fuel flow into the engine. And lastly, anyone have a recommendation on what is a good service manual for these? I know sometimes the manufacture's manuals are best and sometimes there are better after market ones.

Well any input, thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While this hasn't been a particularly "hot" thread with regard to input I thought I would let anyone that's interested what the problem ended up being. Initially I thought it was either the fuel pump, fp relay or signal from the igniter that tells the relay that the engine is running (although I never really confirmed exactly how that works on the 4010). Long story short, after spending a lot of time tracing wiring and trying figure out which of these things it was, I realized that none of the systems (headlights, heater fan, fuel pump, windshield wiper) that came online when the key is turned to the first position worked. That steered me to the ignition switch itself and, upon close inspection, I could see where the connector on the brown wire had indeed gotten hot and very slightly melted and deformed a bit causing no contact. I cleaned it up, flexed the blade so it would get good contact, put it back in and everything worked fine. It was an aftermarket ignition switch that had worked great until then. I have a new one on order and am glad to have the mule up and running ... I've got a lot of more pressing things my family wants me to get going (jetskis and boat).

Have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Sorry that nobody was able to help you but hey, now you have the satisfaction of solving the problem on your own.
Thanks so much for sharing and helping others who might have the same problem.

I have heard that some aftermarket ignition switches for motorcycles are not so great. I guess we now know that can apply to mules also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks WFO. I understand it wasn't a common or everyday presentation so I didn't expect a lot of members to weigh in. I have gotten a LOT more help from forums than I have given so feel the least I can do is pass along any fixes or resolutions I happen across.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts