Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just purchased a Mule (KAF540C-1). I do not know year but, I believe some where around a 1990 model. The machine is in very condition, except the engine is smoking very bad. Does anyone have any experience with this engine? Does anyone have a service manual? My intent is to rebuild the engine. Any help would be appreciated. :D
Thanks

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
That is a Mule 2010, 4 stroke single cylinder, overhead valves, 535cc. The engine maybe just as easy to replace complete. I would have to speak with Lauri in our parts department or better yet you can call her Monday at 1-800-556-3098 and she can advise you if it possible to buy it complete. The sweet thing to do would be replace it with the new 617cc two cyclinder engine as an update. 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Thanks for the reply. What kind of brackets would I need for a newer engine (617cc) replacement? Would the newer engines bolt in to my drivetrain? Are the newer engines water cooled?
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
kaf540C mule 2010 Cylinder Bore job

Can anyone bore this cylinder as it is part of the crankcase? having trouble finding someone to do it?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Some of the old timers that still run lawn mower engine repair shops with hand operated boring bars can bore it. The motorcycle guys generally will not touch them because of case stabilization issues when setting up the boring bar on a good milling machine.

The real problem is the old cast-in cylinder engines are simply not worth fooling with. The labor and parts costs will almost always exceed the price of a replacement engine that is much better and will last pretty much forever if it is taken care of.

The newer engine is a pretty easy swap, and if you are skilled enough to handle the rebuild on the old single, you will easily manage the swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts