Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Mule 610 with just over 1,000 hours. It has never given me any problems until now. A few weeks ago, it started bogging down when running wide open. When it gets to full speed, it acts like it loses fuel and loses all power, but never dies. I have replaced the fuel pump, put on new air filters, replaced the muffler (rust holes were forming), cleaned the gas tank, cleaned the carburetor (looks fine), and replaced the ignition coil. I have not replaced the fuel lines yet, but they all look fine. I ordered new lines and will replace them when they arrive.

Is there anything I am missing? I have had an experienced engine guy help me and he has no idea at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I do not have the luxury of time since this is what I use for collected maple sap and my season will start in 3-6 weeks (depending on weather).

·
Registered
980 Posts
do a fuel flow test. I generally like to put an auxiliary fuel tank gravity feeding the carburetor, then start the engine with the pump line running into a jar. Watch the flow. If the flow starts good, then peters out, pull the fuel cap as it's petering out. That will rule out the gas cap and/or vent. I don't remember on these if the tank is vented elsewhere of the fuel cap. Fuel filter can also cause problems.

I've also run into more than a few with rusted fuel tanks, from sitting I guess, the pick up tube rusts on the end and plugs the system, causing starvation which initially shows up when under full power but would get worse with time.

Also have seen a loose valve seat cause similar issue. Engine only got hot enough under power for the valve seat to begin to loosen up, hold the valve open slightly, which causes loss of compression and loss of power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran an auxiliary tank to the fuel pump and it ran fine. The tank was cleaned and appears fine. I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump and from the pump to the carburetor. Not sure what the problem is with the fuel tank / vacuum. I have replaced the fuel cap and ran w/o a cap and the problem remains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 07 Mule 610 with only 430hours! It's got a brand new battery and I'm losing power when I'm driving. The headlight start to dim and she will shut off. Is there a alternator on this machine? Any idea why I'm losing power?

·
Registered
1 Posts
do a fuel flow test. I generally like to put an auxiliary fuel tank gravity feeding the carburetor, then start the engine with the pump line running into a jar. Watch the flow. If the flow starts good, then peters out, pull the fuel cap as it's petering out. That will rule out the gas cap and/or vent. I don't remember on these if the tank is vented elsewhere of the fuel cap. Fuel filter can also cause problems.

I've also run into more than a few with rusted fuel tanks, from sitting I guess, the pick up tube rusts on the end and plugs the system, causing starvation which initially shows up when under full power but would get worse with time.

Also have seen a loose valve seat cause similar issue. Engine only got hot enough under power for the valve seat to begin to loosen up, hold the valve open slightly, which causes loss of compression and loss of power.
I have a 610 2011 also at full throttle it boggs down like it running out of gas you can let off and it will pick back up. I changed fuel filter and pump put new carb on still does it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Mule 610 with just over 1,000 hours. It has never given me any problems until now. A few weeks ago, it started bogging down when running wide open. When it gets to full speed, it acts like it loses fuel and loses all power, but never dies. I have replaced the fuel pump, put on new air filters, replaced the muffler (rust holes were forming), cleaned the gas tank, cleaned the carburetor (looks fine), and replaced the ignition coil. I have not replaced the fuel lines yet, but they all look fine. I ordered new lines and will replace them when they arrive.

Is there anything I am missing? I have had an experienced engine guy help me and he has no idea at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I do not have the luxury of time since this is what I use for collected maple sap and my season will start in 3-6 weeks (depending on weather).
I had the exact same issues on my 610. I put half can of seafoam in the gas tank with no results. Then took the air intake hose off the frame. The one that goes directly into the breather box. Cranked it and sprayed brake parts cleaner intermittently while revving the motor then at full throttle. Problem solved. Then it wouldn't idle so i dumped the remainder of the seafoam down the same hose into breather box. Ran it up and down the road at wot. Idles great runs great. I believe the ethanol in our gas had it all gummed up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts