Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 2510 mule, diesel with 1400 hours with a broken crankshaft. The more I find out, the more common this seems to be. Does anyone know if the new part number fixes this or knows what is causing the problem?

Thanks Keith

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
In my early Mules the dealer called me and asked that I return them for replacement crankshafts. As he explained it the early diesels had a run of engines with a weak crankshaft design that was unable to handle the stress of the belt type torque converters used by the Mule.

It was my understanding that all were recalled by Kawasaki, and the crankshafts replaced with the stronger version from the turbocharged version of the same Diahatsu diesel. I had no problems with mine, but did allow them to replace the crankshafts at no cost to me.

The diesel Mules do require the clutches and belts to be properly maintained, and none of the diesels should be subjected to jack rabbit starts, as that puts excessive side pressure strain on the crankshaft as the belt jerks and pulls the crankshaft toward the transmission shaft until both clutches equalize and the strain is reduced.

If your Mule has been properly maintained I would check with the selling dealer as to what they intend to do to fix the problem, and if you get no support then contact your Better Business Bureau for help. If you have been flooring it and allowing the belt to pop the clutches, or have failed to do routine clutch maintenance, then you have just been stung by the "learning tax" and will be likely on the hook for repairs.

Frankly, the engines are a snap to work on, and the replacement crankshaft is not all that expensive. I have fixed a few that were used by guys that futz around in tractor pulls and snapped their cranks. It was about a four hour job with the correct tools.

I have been running these diesels myself since day one, have had no problems at all, and use them very hard but am careful not to pop the clutches into gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RCW, Thank you for the information. I have ordered the parts to repair and found an on-line discounted crank for $650 instead of the $820 retail. The part number for the crank has changed and I hope they have strenghtened the part. Also, replacing the bearings and seals (not that inexpensive...$1000).

I have looked for recall information online with limited sucuess. Any suggestions?

I have looked for the VIN number and can not find it. I am told that it is on the tube, drivers side around or under the seat. I have looked everywhere. Any ideas?

Again, thanks for the information. K

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If I remember correctly the VIN for the 2500 series is up on the radiator supports. Kawasaki.com has a help for locating the VIN on their website.

I farm, and a grand is very inexpensive to fix a diesel for me, so I suppose it is perspective.

My recommendation is to talk to the dealer regarding the crankshaft fix recall or customer service correction, or whatever they called it at the time.

I have a great Kawasaki dealer, they call me if there is any problems at all with the models I purchase. But, they cater to farmers and know the best service brings us back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RCW, You are right, the VIN is on the frame by the radiatior. Thank you again for taking the time and sharing your knowledge. My parts shound be in this week and am looking forward to building the motor. K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts